Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

stupid coyote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: stupid coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
So I was on my weekly drive again last friday and to my suprise there was a coyote walking down the ditch next to the highway so i did my normal drive way past him, turn around get my gun ready and go back down to where I was him hoping to get a shot routine. well there he was, I pu.led up to him and he just stood there at 20 yards like he was my lab waiting for me to let the tail gate down. so in my excited high school girl frindzy I decided to shoot him in the head and totally blew right over him. he darted and again like an excited teenager shot into the brush i saw him go behind hoping to hit him and again a miss. not suprised I had missed I jacked another one in as he cam outon the other side of the fence, still only 50 yards away, i finally settled down and put one in his shoulders. geesh what a bunch of embarrasing shooting. leave it to me to blow the easy shots! anyway here he is. really nice coat for this time of year. too bad im not a hide hunter.
I am a Canadian,and as for reading this post , I missed the part were the gun was loaded in the vehicle,shot across a highway,shot from inside the vehicle. So whats next? Someone please get a LIFE.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

Could this have been a domestic raised yote? Once a friend of mine stopped to shoot one and it acted just like this one did for you. It just stood and looked like it wanted to come to him. His little girl was along and asked him not to shoot. So he put the rifle down and called the yote like a dog. It came right to him and got in the truck. It was obviously a raised pet. They took it home and hoped to find who raised it and return it. No luck. It pretty much acted like a dog except while eating it didn't want to be messed with. After a while they retuned it to where it was found and turned it loose.

I raised a pair of abandoned pups once. Don't know why moma left them , maybe she got shot but she did't return after two days so I took them home. They never did trust me and I turned them loose when I though they could make it on their own.

Jeff
Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

interesting broz,

I don't know, "calling to him" never occurred to me, I wouldn't think so but you never know.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
interesting broz,

I don't know, "calling to him" never occurred to me, I wouldn't think so but you never know.
Yeah, I would not have thought to call it either if I wasn't aware of my buddies experience. Even then, I would have been pretty leary of a yote that approached me. Could be a sign of a sick dog too.

At one time I had an 80 acre pen where we kept 30 yotes to train out puppies to track and chase them. I use to have several coyote hounds and train them too. Our home was right in the middle of the pen. At times we would have 3 or 4 laying in the yard waiting for some left overs after dinner. Or we could throw an apple out and they would chase it down and fight over it. One old female would follow my wife about 40 yards behind her as she took walks. She knew she would get a treat when they got home. Pretty interesting animals and in many ways just a dog. Don't get me wrong, I still hunt them and have taken my share and then some. I just found this ones behavior interesting.

I will not judge or get involved in the method of taking a yote debate. But will say , Mike becareful, shooting a yote sure would not be worth loosing any hunting privledges or paying a fine over.

Nice looking yote!! Now go do some reloading and check your zero.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 05-25-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Gold Member

GREAT JOB MIKE. I agree, you saved us a few deer. Maybe these guys can stand in the crosswalks and tackle J walkers. These BOZOS just rub me wrong.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Bronze Member

my tame coyote always wore a collar. sometimes you catch an animal in a bind and it doesnt react normally. often a coyote will stop behind a bush as it thinks you can't see it. thats when you hope you have an interlock.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Gold Member

Gotta love a good flame. These clowns are definitely from California. Lol. I hate this state.