Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

spring calling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Bronze Member

Re: spring calling

had two more come in to five yards away at 11:30 this morning. I love spring/early summer coyote hunting. nothing but puppy distress.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Personally, I have good success year round with the rabbit/fawn distress sounds. A little tougher in Feb and March, but it can be done if I am close enough to them.

I always use a prey distress first in an area, when I quit getting responses with the distress in the said area, I'll then start using some howls too. I've gotten fairly good at coyote vocalizations using my howler, and have called in alot of coyotes with just a howler during all times of the year. Coyote vocalization works better for me during Feb and March.

I don't like to use a pup or coyote distress sound to "call them in". Just my opinion, because I know it works great...............But I'd rather use that particular sound to call back or stop the survivors after the shooting starts (calling in multiples). I always figured.....if they come into that sound and then you start shooting, what are you gonna use to get them to stop now?? Save the best for last type of thing...............Just my opinion, but it's worked for me.

Sometimes however, the yotes don't care what sound you're making; once the shooting starts, they are running for the next county and not even thinking about looking back. ?? Perhaps some of these are coyotes that have been educated to the coyote distress sound in the past??
Old 07-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post

I don't like to use a pup or coyote distress sound to "call them in". Just my opinion, because I know it works great...............But I'd rather use that particular sound to call back or stop the survivors after the shooting starts (calling in multiples). I always figured.....if they come into that sound and then you start shooting, what are you gonna use to get them to stop now?? Save the best for last type of thing...............Just my opinion, but it's worked for me.
Admittedly I only started hunting yotes last year....but in Dec I used the pup in distress out of a mouth call to call in a double twice (Amtrak chased them off the first time ) The second time in I could only see one.....shot it in the chest....stopped the second one 150 yards out with another pup in distress......got that one too.

Aim small hit small

When they come for your guns, give them the ammunition first.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3db3ar View Post
Admittedly I only started hunting yotes last year....but in Dec I used the pup in distress out of a mouth call to call in a double twice (Amtrak chased them off the first time ) The second time in I could only see one.....shot it in the chest....stopped the second one 150 yards out with another pup in distress......got that one too.
Congratulations on your double!!

I was curious..........is Amtrak a train or a big black lab? LoL.

Reason I ask is, I've had similar experiences from time to time, but most of these were when I had a dog with me.

Seems like most of the time for me; after the first shot, the other surviving coyotes are in high gear and heading for the hills. Sometimes I can stop one or two. Perhaps the coyotes in my area are more educated to being shot at?? That wouldn't suprise me, because it seems like every rancher or oilfield worker in the county shoots at most every coyote they see.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Bronze Member

LOL.....Amtrak the train.....it may have helped that the first one I shot was the female.....not by choice.....she was just the only one of the two that I could see at the time.

Aim small hit small

When they come for your guns, give them the ammunition first.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Bronze Member

around here where there's a farn every 2-3 miles they don't respond to the rabbit distress at all during the spring and summer. so if they don't show up, it doesn't matter. i use the adult canine death cry to stop them anyway and usually they'll go out 600-700 yards and sit and complain. that's when i shoot them. spring and summer is the best time to get that long range shot.