Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

spring calling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM

spring calling

i have been out three times now in the spring and had no success calling in a coyote. i went to all the same spots i call in the winter were i had good success. ive been using distress calls but i am wondering what i have to do to call one in or if its even possible to call in the spring.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: spring calling

It is possible to call coyotes in the spring, just don't use a distress call. Why would you want to call in the spring anyhow? The pelts aren't worth anything. I'd say stick with the winter when you can actually utilize a renewable resource.

xdeano
Old 06-11-2010, 03:55 AM
Silver Member

This time of year I like to turn the very strong parenting instinct against the yotes. I hunt using Pup in distress sounds. Most of my coyotes this year have been coming in on a dead run.

And just as an FYI you can kill up to 75% of the coyotes in any given area before the coyote population will be affected in that given area. However for every coyote you can take out in the spring mean that many more deer and where I live antelope fawns have a better chance of making it to adulthood.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Silver Member

+1 on that. I say hunt them whenever you get the chance. Me and a buddy called in a pair by a series of barks and howls. Pup distress works great too. And if you call and they just howl back without coming in, close the gap and try again. This has worked for me a few times. And if you dont have much practice at it dont worry. I have heard some coyotes with some terrible "pipes" out there. The best place to practice is in the field.

Go get M and let us know how you do!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Silver Member

actually you could clean up an entire township and they'll be right back in about 3 weeks. I know this for a fact. All i'm saying is that why waste a renewable resource on summer calling when it is better utilized during the winter when the pelts are actually worth something.

Granted if you're in it to save all the fawns then have at it. Does that mean that you're going to go out and shoot some eagles, hawks and owls too? They do a number on fawns too.

I'm not trying to create waves, just opening up the subject a bit. Coyotes are given a bad rap when it isn't always them.

xdeano
Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Bronze Member

here in se north dakota, i regularly shoot 20+ out of season (feb thru sept) coyotes. those areas will never be without an excess of coyotes. coyotes have three things that control their numbers; disease, food availability and other coyotes. if i shoot one, i'm letting another one live. as long as their established, you won't get rid of them without poisoning. you can't shoot them all at once and if you hunt too much in that area, they wise up. and if you can get rid of them, others move in in a few weeks.

every spring, each coyote pair has 6-10 pups. some die in the first few weeks, a couple more in the first few months, leaving 2-6 pups to find their own territory by december if they're males and next spring if they're females. do the math. they're not going anywhere.

so find the denning areas, try to get within 500-600 yards and play puppy distress and throw in some howling to get them upset. if they don't respond, move in a few hundred yards and repeat. keep a good open lane down wind as when they come, they come hard. and this time of year they're hard to see way out there. also, they like to sit out 500-800 yards and complain. those are my favorites. shot one at 585 and another at 653 the last two weeks. don't forget the bug suit and therma-cell.

i totally respect the people that don't want to hunt them "out of season" but i haven't sold a coyote for 2 years as they haven't been worth much.

plus, this time of year few are out there so you've got the countryside to yourself with low hunting pressure. so get out there and have some fun.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:30 PM

In the area i live in the hunting is hard year around, there can be many reasons your hunting changed. Deep snow can make them change areas for winter hunting, they have to hunt further out than they do when the mice and other critters are easier to get closer to home.

Having learned your call can be another reason, pups in distress may work this time of year or simply a new sound can make them come around to see what that was. I got two last spring using a jack rabbit call even though i live high up in the mountains and cotten tails are whats in this area. blue