Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Snowy Mountain Rifles wants your input on ideal walking varmint rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Snowy Mountain Rifles wants your input on ideal walking varmint rifle

I think you would be happier in the long run using the defiance action to begin with, rather than redoing a Remington.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

.257 Roberts
1-10" twist
#2 Standard Sporter
24"
75 grain V-Max
Bell & Carlson Sporter Stock
Coyote w/ black webbing
Extra stud for bipod
Timney adjusted at about 3 pounds
Top that combo off with a 6x36 scope, and you have a decent walking varminter that is easy to shoot AND carry!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Bronze Member

Hope Im not to late in this. I'd like a 6x47 lapua 24" barrel as close to a Sendero as I can. 1-8 twist for a Berger 105 hybrid McMillan A-5 jewel trigger. I'd also go with a .243 win.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

I sure appreciate everybody's input on this the last several days. I've been out of town on vacation and didn't have much time to check in, so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Geb (short for Gebhardt, my last name)
Old 12-28-2012, 06:02 PM

1. Caliber/cartridge: 6xc
2. Twist rate: 1:8
3. Barrel contour: #5
4. Barrel length: 26"
5. Specific bullet to be used: Berger 105 Match VLD
6. Stock of choice: McMillan A5
7. Stock color/camo pattern: Desert Tan with black webbing duracoat and sniper gray cerakoat on metal
8. Stock options: Adjustable saddle cheek piece
9. Trigger: Kepplinger single set trigger 2.5# when its not set and 6-8 oz when it is.

This is identical to the build that I am planning next other than I am using the 260 Rem and a lighter contour. The single set trigger allows you to focus in on the really long pokes.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Silver Member

So here is what Im noticing from everybodys input. It seems the 22 cal bullets are preferred but in a larger case capacity than the .223 gives, and the 22-250 seems to be the most popular so far with the 243 and 223 a tie for second. The 6mm bullets also are popular but cartridge wise are split between a few different cartridges. Bullet weights for the 22 cal run from 55-75 grains so the barrel should be twisted appropriately to stabilize the heavier bullets. By far the most requested barrel length is 24. The barrel should be slightly heavier than a sporter weight barrel but not overly heavy like on a tactical type rifle. A Krieger #4 Heavy sporter seems to fit the bill and is close in contour to other contours requested. Fluting seems to also be highly requested.

For the stock, I am seeing a lot of requests for a stock shape with a narrower forend, and a normal sporter type grip is also the favorite. Being that we would like to build this rifle to suit all sorts, I would like to stay away from stocks with cast-off or shadowline cheeks so the lefty shooters (such as my wife) can also feel comfortable with it. The McMillan Remington Varmint stock has a 2 forend and trim grip. The HTG would also be a nice stock along with the Manners MCS-T. An adjustable cheek is a huge benefit on these stocks so I am happy to see many of you have requested such a feature. Colors seem to be a desert oriented type with accompanying color on the metal. Two studs is pretty much the norm up front and one in the rear.

Here is what Im coming up with based these parameters:

Caliber: 22-250

Bullet: 55-75 grain

Twist: 8

Contour: Benchmark barrel for Krieger #4 Heavy Sporter, fluted.

Length: 24

Flutes: yes

Stock: Manners MCS-TA with lightest fill, Inlet for SMR 3600 action and PTG BDL hardware, two bipod studs in front one in the rear. LOP set for 13.25.

Color: Molded in desert sage

Ill get a quote worked up on this and get an ESTIMATED price posted. Thank you to everybody that posted. I think these specs will make a fine walking varminter. Well get things ordered this week.

Geb
Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebhardt02 View Post

Here is what Im coming up with based these parameters:

Caliber: 22-250

Bullet: 55-75 grain

Twist: 8

Contour: Benchmark barrel for Krieger #4 Heavy Sporter, fluted.

Length: 24

Flutes: yes

Stock: Manners MCS-TA with lightest fill, Inlet for SMR 3600 action and PTG BDL hardware, two bipod studs in front one in the rear. LOP set for 13.25.

Color: Molded in desert sage

Ill get a quote worked up on this and get an ESTIMATED price posted. Thank you to everybody that posted. I think these specs will make a fine walking varminter. Well get things ordered this week.

Geb
Let me know when your done, I'll runner through the mill for ya!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!