Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Snowy Mountain Rifles wants your input on ideal walking varmint rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

re: Snowy Mountain Rifles wants your input on ideal walking varmint rifle

OK, thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

To me a "walking varminter" is the same as "predator calling rifle". Lots of carrying involved. Shots from 10 to 400 yards with the potential for fast action. Maybe a short stop at a prairie dog town but no barrel melting sessions. Maybe even some high country marmot action.

1. Caliber/cartridge: .22-250 AI
2. Twist rate: 1-12"
3. Barrel contour : #2
4. Barrel length: 24"
5. Specific bullet to be used: 55 grain SGK (1365 or 1390) maybe 55 grain NBT
6. Stock of choice: McMillan Hunter
7. Stock color/camo pattern: Desert MARPAT
8. Stock options (adj. LOP or cheek, sling studs, etc.): plain old sling swivel studs.
9. Trigger: Timney
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Gotcha Cornstalker. My idea of the rifle seems to be exactly the same as yours. Thanks for chiming in.

Geb
Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

I'm thinking a 1:7 twist 6XC with a 26" barrel. Would like to see the big chubby muzzle break so I can spot my own shots. Use the 115 DTAC, or Berger. Manners MCS3 or HTG with adjustable cheek rest. A karsten would do fine for adjusting ability, cost and weight savings. Barrel would be a Savage varmint contour with interrupted flutting. Timney trigger set to around 1.5#. Rifle should weigh in at around 10-12#. I personally enjoy classic woodland camo, with an olive drab ceracote on all metal above the stock including the scope. Scope would be a S&B or Premiere. If your going to use for pdogs, then a minimum of 32x would be my request.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Dang liltank, high class! That would make a fine rifle indeed.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
SPONSOR

I don't think one single rifle will cover everything from prairie dogs/gophers to coyotes. You are either stuck with overkill on the smaller critters or under gunned on the bigger critters. With that said, it's pretty tough to build a true long range rifle for semi fragile animals like fox and bobcat if one cares about the fur damage. While a 17 Remington is great for minimal fur damage it's not much of a long range rifle. It just plain runs out of energy as the distances get stretched. Not to mention wind drift is crazy bad. A .243 or 260 Remington make a great round for coyotes beyond 300 yards, but neither are ideal for prairie dogs, fox, and bobcats. So I guess a guy has to decide whether just hitting one's target is more important or if he wants to not destroy the fur. For a strictly coyote rifle I would have a hard time not picking the .243 with a barrel twist that would stablelize heavier bullets. Perhaps a 1:7.5 or there abouts. Hard to beat an MCM HTG stock with an adjustable cheek rest, though I'm also very fond of the A-5, but it may be a little too heavy. Whatever the stock design I would prefer a desert camouflage or better yet M2D camouflage finish. Something blends in well with the prairie grass. Then there is the struggle for the ideal barrel weight and length. Frankly an ideal "carry" weight and an ideal "long range" rifle in my mind are two different things. Factors such as how walking/hiking distances and having to actually carry the rifle need to be considered. If one covers a lot of ground there is no way a rifle that weighs 12 lbs or more is going to be comfortable for most people. If one only has to walk a 1/4 mile or less to each stand for coyotes then a heavier rifle would be fine. For me a true carry rifle barrel weight maximum for me is Ruger's medium bull barrel. It's right between a standard weight and a heavy contour. The barrel they have on their new M77 Hawkeye Predator is close to ideal for contour and weight for me. Granted, I know there are some guys out there that can tolerate carrying a heavier rifle and I can too, but I'm talking about a "comfortable" carry-rifle. I don't want a sore neck, shoulder, or back at the end of the day because of a heavy rifle. I'd rather have sore muscles from hiking and dragging coyotes out. ;) I personally have become very fond of two-stage competition grade triggers for coyote hunting. I like that little bit of slack before hitting the wall. It's good for getting one's nerves/excitement settled a little before committing to trippng the trigger. Lastly, if a rifle like this can be created for $2500.00 or less then you'll really have something. However, I'd say the market for a $3500.00+ long range coyote hunting rifle would be extremely narrow.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Roger that Big Sky, thanks for the well thought out post.

Geb