Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Snowy Mountain Rifles wants your input on ideal walking varmint rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM

Re: Snowy Mountain Rifles wants your input on ideal walking varmint rifle

Geb,

I just read the last post you put up in my e-mail before responding to this.

I really have to question why you put it out to the masses what they want, when all they wanted is what they can go down to the store and buy right off the shelf.

What you described is exactly that with the exception of the twist being a 1-8". Off the shelf right now, one maker Savage, makes a 1-9". That twist will allow for heavier .22 cal bullets. But, .22 cal heavies come nowhere near what 6mm or 6.5mm heavies will do at long range. And still have more lattitude with bullet weights.

My suggestion is toss out all the stuff you can buy over the counter. Start again, with items that are truly custom. Including rounds you can buy over the counter, but not in all bullet weights. Make this a custom rifle. Not a custom rifle that copies what you can buy already built.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Silver Member

Define "truly custom." What we are going to build would be considered "truly custom" except for the fact that a customer isn't specifying the exact details. This would be similar to many other shops that produce spec built rifles such as GAP's Gladius, Hospitaller, etc. What I've attempted to do is gather the most popular options and specs for this type of rifle and roll them into a single rifle. We will be building this off of our SMR 3600 action, which is produced for us by Defiance Machine. I believe this action to be more custom than a factory Savage or Remington. We are also using a stock that isn't found on mass produced rifles, a top quality barrel that isn't found on mass produced rifles, trigger, bottom metal, etc. This isn't stuff you can walk into any store and buy as a single rifle.

I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from though. I just thought that this would be a nice way to determine what would be most popular in a "custom" rifle for this purpose and then build one. We could obviously chamber it for any other caliber or build a rifle to a customers specs including different stock, barrel contour, or what ever. I understand that there are so many different opinions and thoughts for what each person might want. This is just one particular rifle with what seem to be highly popular choices.

Geb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwarrior View Post
Geb,

I just read the last post you put up in my e-mail before responding to this.

I really have to question why you put it out to the masses what they want, when all they wanted is what they can go down to the store and buy right off the shelf.

What you described is exactly that with the exception of the twist being a 1-8". Off the shelf right now, one maker Savage, makes a 1-9". That twist will allow for heavier .22 cal bullets. But, .22 cal heavies come nowhere near what 6mm or 6.5mm heavies will do at long range. And still have more lattitude with bullet weights.

My suggestion is toss out all the stuff you can buy over the counter. Start again, with items that are truly custom. Including rounds you can buy over the counter, but not in all bullet weights. Make this a custom rifle. Not a custom rifle that copies what you can buy already built.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 AM

Sorry it came off wrong, if it did.

All I'm saying is there really wasn't a whole lot of uniqueness in what you boiled the final rifle down to. I agree, what you give as a good gunsmith is better than what you can get off the shelf. Meaning std. factory action (untrued), barrels, and stocks.

Caliber choice and barrel/bullet to match were my biggest disappointments. There is a lot out there on the cutting edge. When it comes down to 22-250's launching 55-70 gr. bullets, that is not, IMO cutting edge. I thought a lot of guys came up with some good suggestions. Anyhow, a mix such as this was bound to produce some vanilla flavoring. Again though, as you said with good gunsmithing, it's like the real stuff. It makes it taste a whole lot better.

-good luck with this.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

You are right, there wasn't a whole lot of "uniqueness." What I did was keep track of the calibers suggested, stocks, barrel length, etc. and then determined what the most popular choices were based off of this information. There are so many good choices for cartridge selection that you can get dizzy trying to come up with the "best" for everything.

It was easily apparent that the majority of folks wanted a lighter contour barrel and the length most requested was 24". We can certainly build any other caliber and I'd be more than excited to build a 6XC or 243AI. I was just trying to find the most popular choices and bring them all into one single package, and the 22-250 was it. I think an 8 twist barrel will stabilize the bullets most commonly used for harvesting fur or even just sending heavy bullets at LR.

I'm sorry to have disappointed you in the selection of components. I'm still pretty excitedto see how this turns out though. I might have to talk the wife into letting me build one for our personal collection. I'll keep this thread updated with progress on this rifle.

Geb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwarrior View Post
Sorry it came off wrong, if it did.

All I'm saying is there really wasn't a whole lot of uniqueness in what you boiled the final rifle down to. I agree, what you give as a good gunsmith is better than what you can get off the shelf. Meaning std. factory action (untrued), barrels, and stocks.

Caliber choice and barrel/bullet to match were my biggest disappointments. There is a lot out there on the cutting edge. When it comes down to 22-250's launching 55-70 gr. bullets, that is not, IMO cutting edge. I thought a lot of guys came up with some good suggestions. Anyhow, a mix such as this was bound to produce some vanilla flavoring. Again though, as you said with good gunsmithing, it's like the real stuff. It makes it taste a whole lot better.

-good luck with this.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

The 1-8 will work for bullets up to the 80 grain mark, I have a lilja 3 groove on my 22x47 lapua and have had zero problems with stability with the 80 grain jlk or the berger vld past the 1k mark. who's barrels are you guys using?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

We'll use a Benchmark for this one.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Gold Member

I know that it has become chic to shoot long heavy bullets in 22 cal rifles but I wonder what your custom 8 twist barrel will do to the light, thin-jacketed bullets that a lot of us like to use on varmints or coyote and fox hides we want to sell. I don't like exit holes.
I tried to shoot some .223s with a 50 gr. SX bullet in my M4 with a 1-8 barrel and they turned to smoke about 50 yards down range. They were only loaded to about 3000 fps so it was not the speed that melted them, it was the twist. I'm betting the other thin-jacketed bullets will do the same. Most of us that use a "walking around" varmint gun don't shoot 243 weight bullets (69-80 gr.) in our 22-250s. We shoot 45-55 gr. bullets. You can slow down the barrel twist for my part.