Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Snowshoes for coyote hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Snowshoes for coyote hunting

I'm curious as to how many of you gents use some type of snowshoe to get around when the snow gets deep.

After 3 hrs of plodding through up to waist high drifts and dropping through the ice twice, I figure its time to make my life a little easier. So...what do you like for styles or sizes? Any insight pos. or neg. would be appreciated.

Chris
Old 02-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Snowshoes for coyote hunting

I recently retired a pair of 36" Outside Edge snowshoes and picked up a pair of surplus magnesium snowshoes and I've only put about 5 miles on them so its too early for me to give you much input on them other than the fact that they do have more flotation than the old ones.

Gus

Last edited by Speedo; 02-14-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:15 PM

I use them alot. I feel like an old trapper everytime I put them on.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Speedo,

How noisy are the metal frames when going through the brush, do you get alot of "tinging" from small branches and such?

JLK,

How are those shoes when you get into the timber/woods, can you move around without to much trouble or do you really have to pay attention to where your feet are going?

I like the thought of wood frames, feel like they should be quieter, but I also like the shorter shoe from a maneuverability stand point. Of coarse I'll admitt to not knowing squat about snowshoes thus the questions.

Thanks

Chris
Old 02-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

I use the surplus metal w/cable lacing. The innovation that made them work was a harness I cobbled up from a snowshoe web page.

Floatation is very good. I'm 270#s w/pack and rifle.

I think that I would be more pleased with what JLK is using. (Longer/Narrower) However mine work well in sage brush with plenty of terrain.

PS: no more noise than the wooden ones my buddy uses.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
How are those shoes when you get into the timber/woods
They are 10"x56" and go thru stuff like this all the time. You just have to look ahead and plan your route. The rubber bindings are Bob Maki's but you can make them too.I like them.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I use the surplus metal w/cable lacing. The innovation that made them work was a harness I cobbled up from a snowshoe web page.

Floatation is very good. I'm 270#s w/pack and rifle.

I think that I would be more pleased with what JLK is using. (Longer/Narrower) However mine work well in sage brush with plenty of terrain.

PS: no more noise than the wooden ones my buddy uses.
The metal ones with the cable lacing are the ones that I use. I'm going to have to modify them for climbing hills on packed trails, I may have to build my own bindings with some kind of a claw on the bottom. Going down hills and sliding isn't good but sliding backwards down a hill is more excitement than I need. Right now I'm using the bindings that are made for the snowshoes but they could be improved upon. Do you have a picture of the ones that you made?

Gus

Last edited by Speedo; 02-14-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: sp