Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Sirens to locate coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Sirens to locate coyotes

Any one use a siren to hunt coyotes ? If you get them to respond,is it simply a matter of hiking near and setting up a typical stand with rabbit distress calls ? Hoping for a customer ?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Sirens to locate coyotes

I run the roads or callin area in the dark prior to my days calling to locate with a siren.

get out 1 or 2 hours early to your area, stop your rig, get out and siren. I let it run 5 up and down cycles, shut it off and listen. Give it 2 to 3 minutes... no response, hit it one more series and listen.... Continue this through all your potential stands. Mark stands or remember where you got responses...

Go back to the first spot you got an answer at day light and start calling. Then continue on to all the other areas you got response.

Good luck !
Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
PUBLISHER

Where can I download a siren sound for my foxpro?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

We used them everyday when long lining coyotes, they work good to get you into more key areas in home ranges and get better stand locations for calling or trap locations to kill them fast in a couple runs.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Where can I download a siren sound for my foxpro?

Len,

here is what I use. The added volume is a big plus to get them howling... Handy to keep on the seat or in a pack.

E.L.K., Inc. - Detail

Call and talk to Don or Ryan. Great guys !
Old 03-15-2011, 09:59 AM
PUBLISHER

Scott

DONE

I'll be using this next week in Nebraska. I'm going out to scout a deer hunting spot and I'll hunt coyotes while there.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

They work, but in my experience, not as well as they used to. Alot more people are using the technique these days. I believe some of the dogs have kinda gotten wary of it.? Just an opinion, I can't prove that of course. However, I have noticed less and less response to a siren over the last 15 years, and it's happened gradually. I've seen this in all areas that I've hunted, not just the areas that I frequently hunt.

Len, I used to have one mounted in my pickup. An electronic one with multiple sound boards.......extremely loud. Got if from a fire truck manufacturer. Controls were in the cab, horn was under the hood.

I then tried a couple of the handheld ones after I wrecked that truck in 2000. You can download the sounds into the foxpro (at least the old foxpro), I have two different siren tones downloaded into mine. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I downloaded them from. I probably searched google until I found one. It's been about 8 years since I did that, so my memory isn't so good.