Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Sierra Mountains and NV desert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

Sierra Mountains and NV desert

I live in Reno and have made a few stands in the Sierra and the desert past week. Nothing any where. Is it to early yet ? Large mountain meadow in the sierras any where from a mile to a few miles off HWY 80. I have a FX5 should I just pick a spot or drive around and play a bunch Coyote locator calls out the window and listen for them to answer back. there are rivers and big lakes near by along with fisher men. Where are the coyotes most likely to be ? I really want a mountain coyote.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sierra Mountains and NV desert

I concentrate summer efforts near water. Doesn't have to be alot of water, but they need to drink. Areas with alot of prey animals are good spots to look for them too..........cover/shade is also important to coyotes during the summer.

The coyote locator sounds can sometimes be a good way to find them. If you can get them to howl early early morning, you can sneak in and make a set. Doing it in the dark is a little more difficult until you get an ear for how far away they are when you're hearing them. If you take a compass bearing and can tell about how far away you are from them, then you can plot this on a map and sneak in once it's starting to get daylight.

Early morning or late evening during the summer.........mid day is just too hot usually to get them to do anything.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Silver Member

Hey a guy from my neck of the woods. I don't want to disappoint you but there is just not a lot of coyotes in this area. They are there, but are pretty dang spooky, very smart and not in great numbers. People in and around the Reno burbs hit 'em pretty hard. I've had best luck hitting the open areas at the tree lines around Carpenter Valley and Dog Valley (N/E of Truckee) as well as around the Teichert Plant out Hwy 267 towards Tahoe. Also the NF behind Verdi (California) can hold a few as well. The other problem is there are hiking/bike trails as well as roads all over this area so watch out for morons peddling around. That entire area has grown substantially over the past few years so private properties and homes have popped up.

Better places that are still open and clear are around the back side of Stampede Resv. and out into Lemon Valley towards Loyolton. The further east you can get the better, (More dogs less people) however you start running into large cattle/alfalfa ranches.

The other thing to remember is our limited draw deer season kicks off in the first week of Oct. and the general seasons start the end of Sept. This will bring a ton of hunters, especially during the general season which boundaries run throughout this area. Sorry for the long post but good luck..............
Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

Very Helpful.. What about the Overland trail looks like it leads into some massive Mountain sage meadows ?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

I'm at work without a map so jog my memory about where the overland trail is. I may know it by another name or something.........
Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Its an exit about where the check in station is as you enter CA
Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Ya I know which one it is. I would steer clear or be very selective in shots. This area gets a TON of foot traffic. The trail leads into Truckee as well around the golf course then off out into the hills. The only thing about the hills is that they are covered with homes and more trails, in fact about three miles or so of the trail is a wooded boardwalk to keep people from trampling the natural flowers and weeds. Whatever....... Unless we are thinking of two different places I would definitely steer clear of the I-80 side. If you go out Hwy 89 (N) you can get away from some folks. Also around the area of Hobart Mills can hold some, but again there are people in and around........This all used to be a great area to hunt and fish but over the past several years it has just become a skier/mountain biker resort town that has made it truly a pain in the butt to do much around.