Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Show us your coyote SHOTGUNS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Show us your coyote SHOTGUNS.

I forgot to say I'm currently using a Winchester SX2 3 1/2'' with a standard full choke, the pattern is only good to about 35-40 yards (averaging around 4-5 pellets in a 7 inch circle).

BUT the heaviest shot I have at the moment is Winchester Heavy Game 1 1/4 oz. #2 lead shot. I'm still trying to get my hands on some 3 1/2'' #4 buck or even heavy T shot shells, but that kinda ammo isn't easy to find out here.

The local Wholesale Sports carries very little variety in buckshot. You have two choices- 12 ga. 2 3/4'' 00 buck or 12 ga. 3'' 00 buck. Coyote loads are few and far between, most of the folks I've talked to look at me like I'm nuts when I mention using a scattergun for COYOTES!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Bronze Member

I get my buckshot @ a Gander Mountain retail store bout 40 miles from where I live, so it's not too much of a problem. I don't use that many shells anyway. If you can get em, you might try heavy non tox waterfowl loads. NOT STEEL SHOT. Tungsten, bismuth, or something along those lines. They're not cheap, but neither is the right buckshot. Hevi-Shot's 3 1/2" Dead Coyote load is T shot. 50 something pellets in that shell, so it's similar in pellet count to the #4 buck I use. I know guys that shoot alot of grey foxes with BB shot in a 3 1/2" 12ga. They kill coyotes with it too. Hope you find somethin that works
Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

Haha, but sir, you don't live in Canada! Getting ammo here isn't nearly so easy.

Shipments of anything "dangerous" get held up at the border for no apparent reason, and stay there for months! The shelves at sporting goods stores can become very bare, very fast, and nobody knows when or IF a new shipment will arrive. When ammo DOES arrive, people swoop down and scoop up 50% in the first week!

Thank God that a new Cabela's location will be opening soon, currently there is only one major sporting goods store within an hour of my place (Wholesale Sports), and when they run out of ammo- so do I.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Bronze Member

WOW!!!!.... I didn't think about that. I just thought there was some waterfowl hunting in Sask, and thought waterfowl loads might be easier to get..... I know we've got it good, but don't realize HOW good we have it in TX
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

I used the same 12 gauge, 3" chamber, Mossberg 500 Turkey Special with a 20" barrel, for coyotes, that I use for turkeys. I switch the choke tubes from a H.S. Strut .665" to a Carlson's .680". The ammo is Dead Coyote Ts or Remington HD BBs...which both produce killing patterns out to 50 yards.

Anything that refuses to come in closer than 50 yards, gets hit with an 87gr. BT from my Stevens .25-06.

Bowhunter57
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwhacker View Post
WOW!!!!.... I didn't think about that. I just thought there was some waterfowl hunting in Sask, and thought waterfowl loads might be easier to get..... I know we've got it good, but don't realize HOW good we have it in TX
Well there is certainly SOME waterfowl hunting here as in... GEESE BLOT OUT THE SUN waterfowl hunting.

Sadly most of the waterfowl shot is steel, and steel sucks on small critters, let alone coyotes! I supposed I COULD try some tungsten BBs or Ts, but it really hurts to shell out $3 or more per shot.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

Update: I found some Challenger brand shells in 1-5/8 oz. 3-1/2'' lead BB in Canada, I'll have to special order them, but they SHOULD provide a fairly clean kill.

Still $1.15 per shot... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.