Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

shotgunning coyotes lesson learned

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: shotgunning coyotes lesson learned

Here is the link. or hit the second page of forums and it's "New Rifle" bought a ruger american rifle and it's a write up of the gun and ammo. I'm just shooting factory Hornaday Superformance I'm almost scared of how good they'd be with hand loads

New rifle
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Bronze Member

I'd have to disagree with you on Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote loads. I have had nothing but great luck with them including an 83 yard (witnessed) on-the-run shot that stopped a big coyote in his tracks, no finishing shot required. I agree that they're spendy but IMHO you get what you pay for. I rarely shoot more than a box of 10 per season and in the grand scheme of things that few extra dollars is money well spent. Don't get me wrong, I'll shoot 4-buck and 3" lead BB loads too but when I'm serious about killing stuff I use the Dead Coyote loads.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

Well, I'm always serious about killing stuff. I'm not denying they're good shells, and if you can afford to shoot them, go ahead. But I simply will not pay that much for shotgun ammo.

At that price, I could shoot each coyote five times with my .243... or shoot four more coyotes.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:10 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. All this info really helps, I'm going to buy a couple boxes of rounds different sizes and see what she does ill let yall know how it works out.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:29 PM

It's hard to know if I should take the .204 or shotgun somtimes. I prefer using a rifle on coyotes, so usually it's the .204. One day, my calling partner couldn't go, so I took both. I had a coyote charge straight in to 25 yds and I was laying down behind the rifle. Suddenly, I remembered the shotgun laying beside me and was able to roll the coyote as it turned. I thought that was the ticket, but I don't like carrying two guns. I did buy some Dead Coyote shells, but was really dissapointed when I finally got around to patterning them. Unreliable patterns past 50 yards, and the recoil is ferocious! A friend told me he could roll a dog at 80 yards using 00 buckshot with a turkey choke, so I bought some Remington 3" 00 buck just to prove him wrong. I'm using a Benelli Nova 3.5" 12 guage, and a Primos Jelly Head turkey choke. You've got to see the range out of this setup to believe it. 000 buck has fewer pellets, but gives even longer range. I haven't used this on coyotes or wolves yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it out. Pattern this setup and you'll be amazed.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM

I don't have a shotgun but if I did have one I don't know if I'd be too excited about hauling around two guns. I too have been caught off guard by a coyote that shows up quick and close popping out from nearby brush. I learned that if I hunt anywhere near any brush, I turn my scope down to 3 or 4. Easier to dial up for a 3 hundred yard shot then to have to rush to dial down for a coyote that's about to spot YOU from 40 yards.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Silver Member

I use to carry my shotgun and rifle, but its just too much to carry. Now I carry a handgun for the close work. I just sit my glock 20 on my lap and if I get one within 50 yards he is in a world of trouble.