Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

shotgunning coyotes lesson learned

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 02:42 PM

Re: shotgunning coyotes lesson learned

I think I'm going to cut out my back pack and carry only the necessity's with me. Alpha dog caller, crazy critter decoy, savage 111 7mm rem mag, 12ga pump rem 870. That way I can sling my rifle over my back like you suggested. I wear my binos all the time anyway so my range finder can go in my pocket with a few other small things.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

You sir will deff have enough rifle. My caller is small and compact runs off AA batteries. Where are you hunting? Hope your rifle is relatively light weight, I carried my ar for a couple seasons and decided that my Ruger American is a much better substitute much much lighter. I rarely call in more than a double and in most cases it's near brush so chances of the second shot are sort of slim looking back I've only ever scored one double and that was in the middle of a hay field.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM

I'm only using my 7mm rem mag till my 243 is done. It's a savage 111 with factory barrel so its really light even with my bi pod on it. I've killed 3 dogs with it in 2 stands and saw 14! Which is why I'm taking the shotgun next time! and it is pretty ugly what the 7 mag does to them. But I'm hunting wide open wheat fields and rolling pasture land on private property and I can see for miles. I'm trying to get a yote at 500 yards so far my furthest is 260 yards. On this private land around were I'm hunting is cattle country and I've never seen so many cottontail rabbits before this place is a coyotes buffet!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

243 is hard to beat, I've studied and studied ballistics and your simply can't beat it for ease of reloads and the amount of availability. 243 with the wrong load it can be nasty as well but a 7mag eww... I neck shot one a few yrs back with 168a-max out of my 308 and it wasn't pretty, only one little scrap of hide held her head to her shoulders. 14 in a days time is awesome!!! Back in KY most ever was 5 in a day and all off the same farm. If you'd be open to a partner in crime some time this coming fall or winter I'd be glad to help dent the population a bit. Once you get you're new rifle in be sure to get us some pics we eat that stuff up, be sure to try the 58gr v-max, I did a write up about them and my new rifle a few wks ago they're impressive, crazy good groups with them.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Bronze Member

Where can I find your write-up on the 58 gr V-Max?? I'm still searching for the ideal coyote load for my .243 and would be interested to read what you have to say.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

I'd like to interject here- I use #4 buckshot for coyotes, and it certainly works well, but I only use it because I can't find ay other non-steel large shot without going to 00 or 000 buck (and those are too big to reliably land pellets where you need 'em).

I just wanted to say, use fairly large shot (BB, BBB, T, F, #4 buck), use heavy shot (lead, hi-density, tungsten, bismuth, whatever), but for Heaven's sake DON'T USE HEVI-SHOT DEAD COYOTE.

Why?

Because I don't care how good a shotshell is, nobody should ever ever ever ever ever pay $5 PER SHOT for a 12 gauge. Simple.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt183 View Post
Where can I find your write-up on the 58 gr V-Max?? I'm still searching for the ideal coyote load for my .243 and would be interested to read what you have to say.
Also, FWIW, I killed a pile of coyotes with Hornady's 58 gr VMAX moly, and it's probably the best light-bullet load you can buy in .243.

Just don't expect the pelts to look nice...