Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Rookie mistakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 10:41 PM

Rookie mistakes

Brand new to coyote hunting. Set up on a hillside overlooking a river and stationed an mp3 caller about 30 to 40 yards downhill and downwind of us. Cranked the volume and as soon as the raspy jackrabbit squals began, a coyote ran from the cover across the river in the opposite direction. This coyote was spooked by what he was hearing and kept looking back and running. After a couple minutes of silence, the caller started up with the squals again and another coyote did exactly the same thing! I don't believe the coyotes could see us or smell us but were scared to death of the calls. Were we just too loud?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Rookie mistakes

I do not consider myself an expert. But I would say if the call you were using was real loud, that was your mistake. Coyotes can hear real good. Their life depends on it. Think of it this way. You can call them in just making a squeeking or kissing sound with your lips. Hope this helps. Always start calling at a real low volume first. The less distance you can see the lower volume you should should use when you call. Sometimes when I think I can see 500 yds. a coyote will get to 50 before I see him. They use low spots and drainages or ditches to their advantage. I always call real low first, even if I think that there is not a coyote with in a 1000 yds.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Bronze Member

was there any chance they could have winded you? first thing a coyote is gona try and do is get down wind of where the call is coming from so they can hone in on it. and if you put the call downwind of you that is wher they are gona go.......
Old 02-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Bronze Member

Could also be that previous hunters have used that sound on them before and when they responded, they barely got away with their lives. Mayhap been a big warning siren to them. You'll have to try using other calls out there. Like it was stated, start low and then work up in volume.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

The answer here is simple. Coyotes don't hold still very long for anyone. I don't care if you're Davy Crockett reincarnated or Byron South, they don't mean to cooperate.

While I do not prefer a loud call, this shouldn't kill you in the field.

Go easy on yourself. They arent the world's toughest, farthest reaching land predator for nothing. They got brains brother.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

a few yrs back my son and i spotted 2 coyotes at about 2 miles away in a meadow mousing. we stalked to within about 1 1/2 miles and set up. i was watching thru the binocs when the call came on. it took about 4 seconds for both coyotes to jerk their heads up and look our way, then it was mach 2 in the other direction! some of them are just extremely call shy. keep trying...AJ
Old 04-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post

While I do not prefer a loud call, this shouldn't kill you in the field.

Go easy on yourself. They arent the world's toughest, farthest reaching land predator for nothing. They got brains brother.

+100! It happens!Trial and error is all part of it. The whole point is to learn something every time you go out brother.