Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Reno Coyote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Reno Coyote

Well went out there today,setting up my stand and I look over a couple Rocks I was going to sit against and there was a large male hunting 75yds from me. Nailed him 1st Coyote of the season ! I need to re-read instructions on how to post pictures. Next question this coyote had a nice coat but not as nice as a Winter coyote so I left it lay to return to nature. How soon can I hunt the same spot again ? 10 minutes after this dog another came charging in but must of seen me and kicked in its afterburners I fired a bunch of shots but didn't connect.3rd coyote I've seen after two visits. This is a good spot............. Also heard a few other coyotes in a pack giving short howling barks,wonder if those were warning barks to fellow pack members ?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:46 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Reno Coyote

This may seem a little strange but if you kill every coyote that shows up on a given stand (assuming your set-up allows you to see most responses), the stand can be good and stay good to call every couple of weeks. If you miss a coyote or two or if they wind you, you should let it rest longer between sets. I try to not call a stand more than two or three times a winter if I have options. There's no hard and fast rule. Hope that makes sense.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt35 View Post
This may seem a little strange but if you kill every coyote that shows up on a given stand (assuming your set-up allows you to see most responses), the stand can be good and stay good to call every couple of weeks. If you miss a coyote or two or if they wind you, you should let it rest longer between sets. I try to not call a stand more than two or three times a winter if I have options. There's no hard and fast rule. Hope that makes sense.
That makes perfect sense ? I went out today I set up about a 1/2 mile and over a rocky desert hill from where I was Monday. Nothing ! But after 25 minutes of calling way out there I think two different packs held choir practice for a few minutes. I glassed and glassed I couldn't see any movement. I wonder if i should of packed up and hiked in that direction and tried some more ? They could've been a mile away as a crow flies ?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:35 PM
SPONSOR

It's perfectly legitimate to move towards coyotes you hear but that don't respond. Sometimes you are outside of the coyote's home area. Sometimes they may have a full belly and don't want to come that far. When you get closer, the territorial response kicks into gear. You'll need to have a reasonable chance of getting closer without being detected of course which depends on the wind and the terrain. Good luck!
www.no-off-season.com

Old 09-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

So in Coyote society they have boundaries ? ? They can't run around freely ?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 PM
SPONSOR

It depends on the time of year to some extent. Winter and spring (mating and denning seasons) are the most intense as far as territoritality goes but, yes, coyotes have some pretty distinct boundaries at times. I've had them come in until they got to a fence and then they acted as if it were a hot wire. They stopped and wouldn't come any further. I've seen them refuse to leave a large (hundreds of acres) pasture. The fences again acted as a boundary. If you can get inside the territory they claim and defend, you can usually get a good response whether they are hungry or not. I called and shot a large coyote in one of the pastures behind my house that had a whole jackrabbit in his stomach. He was not coming to the call because he was hungry. So, the boundaries can work for you or against you.
www.no-off-season.com

Old 09-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for info. Do you wash your camos in any thing special ? Some thing about they see things we don't ? Sent control we can't fool them right ? Isn't it about hunting with the wind in our face ?