Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Rattle snakes while hunting coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Rattle snakes while hunting coyotes

I was actually pretty darn close to this one, but not that close Let's put it this way, thank God for camera's with a zoom button.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

I ran across a pair of them last night. They were in the track of a two track road. I drove right up to them, got out and looked at them close up. They were intertwined together and doing a "mating dance". They didn't rattle or coil up or try to get out of the way............more important things on their minds I guess.

I've nearly stepped on a few in my life, the biggest one was probably 5 feet long as big a round as my wrist. He didn't rattle at all!!............He was about to shed, because his eyes were all glazed over.

They bother me the most when you can't see them through the grass and they don't rattle. I think if they got stepped on, they would surely bite. We get horses and cattle bitten by them every now and then. Usually on the nose, mouth area.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
+1 with Shortgraass. Thats exactly how we roll in Eastern Oregon too. Just keep an eye out. If you kill one burry the head where noone and no critter will get to it for some time. I hate sankes! But Ill let a bull snake go. Buzz worms, forget it! If I see one it dies period. All of them will catch you off guard at one time or another. Just wach where you put your feet, dont corner or play with one, and dont have a heart attack when they suprise you. A fishing pole handle, a butt of a rifle stock or a stick work great for holding thier body snugg enough (close to thier head)to cut thier head off. Try to use a long bladed knife for safety sake. A big ***** rock will kill em with enough trys, but I prefer the quicker meathod.
i also carry my sig with snakeshot,wish i could train a pig to hunt with me
Old 08-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Iron Worker;411606]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupathingy View Post
The coloration and pattern on that snake is really nice, typically not that vivid.

Chupa[/QUOTE I don't see your feet in the photograph. where were you in relation to the camera ?
I would have thought that both of his feet would have been in the air. I know mine would have been !

Bigbuck
Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

Had another horse get bitten last week, on the jaw. Gave him a shot of antibiotics and he seems ok now. My mom also shot one in her front yard about two weeks ago.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Had another horse get bitten last week, on the jaw. Gave him a shot of antibiotics and he seems ok now. My mom also shot one in her front yard about two weeks ago.

Antibiotics alone would probably be sufficient for a horse. CroFab is the most commonly used anti-venon used in the U.S. to treat snake bites. Cro-Fab is derived from horses, they just have a heartier resistance to snake bites than most domestic animals and humans do.

Chupa
I sung the first hymn when the stars were created,and I let Mary know who she was expecting. Then again... I've turned rivers into blood and cities into salt...........So I don't think I have to explain myself to you! Gabriel
Old 05-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Bronze Member

I have run across a lot rattlers in Idaho, Wyoming, and Nevada.

Most of the time a rattler doesn't want to have much to due with a human as long as it has a chance to go its own way. Rattlers can be unpredictable when they shed their skin as they are blind at that time and tend to try strike at anything that gets near them. Rattlers in the areas I have been around shed their skin in either the end of July or in August.

The sidewinders in Nevada spooked me more than its bigger counter parts as they move so darn fast.

I have had 4 different dogs bitten by rattlers. All of them lived through it. But they were good and sick for about a week.

If I would see one when I was near my truck, I would chop their head off with a long handled shovel.