Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Rattle snakes while hunting coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rattle snakes while hunting coyotes

Situational awareness is the key! However, to augment and add another layer of safety, I have been using snake proof type boots since 1992 while hunting in AZ, NM, and now MT. There a little heavy but I have gotten used to it.

Good luck! Happy safe hunting.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:37 PM

I have spent the majority of my life studying and even supplementing my income with snakes. I often say that "I know very little about quite a lot, and quite a lot about very little" but this would be an exception to that rule. I can't remember the last time that I "Had" to kill a snake but my memory isn't what it once was. Most snakes (foriegn and domestic) if given the opportunity will look for the back door vs. a confrontation. We have 2 eyes and in the case of rattle headed copper moccasin's, we have 2 ears that will serve you very well about 99% of the time. Also, snakes tend to be most active when the temperature is in the low to mid 80's. That's not to say that if it's 105 you should go stickin your hand under every yucca bush, because that's where they will be. Snakes are very keen on vibration and a walking stick or set of shooting sticks striking the ground heavier than your footsteps will get they're attention quick fast and in a hurry. All of this being said, there are exceptions to every rule so I'm not interested in that one time you had a 3' WDB rear up and stand it's ground like he was at the OK corral.

Now that I sound like I think all snakes should be left alive...Not so! I don't have a problem one with a guy running across a 6' western diamond back and thinking "that would look good in my trophy room" or somebody wanting to shoot some buzzworms for some rattlesnake chili(That stuff is TASTY!). I'm just saying that with a little education and vigilance, snakes actually pose little threat, and besides as much as I like snakes, I equally hate rats!

I don't check in here as much as I should and that is going to change. If anyone ever has any questions pertaining to snakes don't hesitate to ask.

Chupa
I sung the first hymn when the stars were created,and I let Mary know who she was expecting. Then again... I've turned rivers into blood and cities into salt...........So I don't think I have to explain myself to you! Gabriel
Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Gold Member

Lived in AZ most of my life. The deserts & mountains in NV are very similar to those in AZ. If memory serves me correctly, AZ & NV have some 10+ different species of rattlesnake. They are everywhere and they usually see/sense you long before you are aware of them. That's why the good Lord gave them a rattle - to warn us. I've had a few close calls, but they always took the backdoor exit when I allowed it. One even gave up eating his dinner to get out of the area I was in.

Since they are coldblooded creatures, they cannot stand high temps or freezing cold. Typically, you will not see them in the summer during the day in the deserts. They wait until way after dark to come out and hunt. The ground temps in AZ deserts don't drop below 90 degrees until after 10 PM. Best time to encounter one in the summer is right after sunrise. The ground is "cool" and they will be coming home from the hunt. By 8 AM or so, the temp is moving north at a rapid pace and they hole up under rocks, in the shade of trees & bushes, and damp places like washes & springs.

Now in wintertime, they tend to be active in the desert both day and night. Just be aware of your surroundings. If you do encounter one, just freeze until you can locate the critter and then slowly move around it.

As a side note: I have a friend that works in the ER at a local hospital. She says that a full 90+% of snake bites that they treat have occurred when that person was playing with, teasing or trying to kill the snake. So, if you feel inclined to make the rattlesnake pay for its crime of scaring you nigh unto death, then use a gun and get it done.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks every body for posting on my thread. All great stuff.............
Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Bronze Member

Like what most have said, just keep your eyes and ears open. Here is a little bugger I came across this weekend. I called him / her Cow Pie Surprise

Old 07-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriggsRi View Post
Like what most have said, just keep your eyes and ears open. Here is a little bugger I came across this weekend. I called him / her Cow Pie Surprise

The coloration and pattern on that snake is really nice, typically not that vivid.

Chupa
I sung the first hymn when the stars were created,and I let Mary know who she was expecting. Then again... I've turned rivers into blood and cities into salt...........So I don't think I have to explain myself to you! Gabriel
Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Chupathingy;411601]The coloration and pattern on that snake is really nice, typically not that vivid.

Chupa[/QUOTE I don't see your feet in the photograph. where were you in relation to the camera ?