Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Rattle snakes while hunting coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Rattle snakes while hunting coyotes

Just moved to Nevada. How do I protect my self from Rattle snakes ? What preventive measure should I take ? Are they out in about in the early morning ?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rattle snakes while hunting coyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Just moved to Nevada. How do I protect my self from Rattle snakes ? What preventive measure should I take ? Are they out in about in the early morning ?
Where in Nevada did you move friend.

I must be blind because I don't ever see them!!!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 AM
SPONSOR

I can not speak for Nevada, but here in Western Oklahoma there seems to be "pockets" where snakes will be found. Those "pockets" are probably because it's good snake habitat. They don't cover the entire area although you never know when you might stumble onto a prairie rattler (sabre toothed buzz worm) when you're out. Just be aware of your surroundings. Look before you set down to call. If you see one , look around , there may be another. They will usually "run" if given a chance to. It may strike if you surprize it or it feels 'cornered' or 'threatened'. In the taller grass, when it's still warm enough snakes are out, some wear 'snake leggings'. In the summer or hotter weather they'll hide from the hot sun so, yes, they may be more active in the early morning during that time of year, but they're most active at night. In the spring and fall when its cooler they'll seek out the sun for warmth during the day. Just be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine. It's not like they are hunting you.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
I can not speak for Nevada, but here in Western Oklahoma there seems to be "pockets" where snakes will be found. Those "pockets" are probably because it's good snake habitat. They don't cover the entire area although you never know when you might stumble onto a prairie rattler (sabre toothed buzz worm) when you're out. Just be aware of your surroundings. Look before you set down to call. If you see one , look around , there may be another. They will usually "run" if given a chance to. It may strike if you surprize it or it feels 'cornered' or 'threatened'. In the taller grass, when it's still warm enough snakes are out, some wear 'snake leggings'. In the summer or hotter weather they'll hide from the hot sun so, yes, they may be more active in the early morning during that time of year, but they're most active at night. In the spring and fall when its cooler they'll seek out the sun for warmth during the day. Just be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine. It's not like they are hunting you.
+1 with Shortgraass. Thats exactly how we roll in Eastern Oregon too. Just keep an eye out. If you kill one burry the head where noone and no critter will get to it for some time. I hate sankes! But Ill let a bull snake go. Buzz worms, forget it! If I see one it dies period. All of them will catch you off guard at one time or another. Just wach where you put your feet, dont corner or play with one, and dont have a heart attack when they suprise you. A fishing pole handle, a butt of a rifle stock or a stick work great for holding thier body snugg enough (close to thier head)to cut thier head off. Try to use a long bladed knife for safety sake. A big ***** rock will kill em with enough trys, but I prefer the quicker meathod.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Good advice has been given above. And yes! bury the head, and do it before you cut off the rattle. That way if it escapes, we don't have one running around with out a warning device.

The only thing I will add is, carry a good knife.

Jeff

Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Iron Worker, I remembered posting about rattle snakes south of Reno...
It was an email I received.

Click Here

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

I've spent alot of time hunting coyotes in the summer months in Wyoming. I don't know anything about Nevada, but up here; I see more prarie rattlers in the early fall than during the summer. The method I've used to kill them while trying to remain stealthy for the coyote hunt is..........I'll kick dirt toward them or poke at them with my shooting sticks until they get pissed and raise their head to strike. At that point, I'll take a swift "backhand" motion with the end of my shooting sticks and aim for the head/neck area which is now a few inches above the ground. Usually, one good whap with the sticks knocks them loopy long enough that I can stomp their head with my boot heal.

Something else that works well, is to carry a piece of rope with a knot tied in the end. You can swing the rope (wind it up so to speak) fast enough to deliver a deadly blow. I've seen this done with a lariet even when horseback alot of times. (trick is getting the horse to stand still.)

Please keep in mind, I am talking about small Prarie Rattlers. They can't strike very far from their center of gravity and they are only about 3 feet long, so getting within 3 feet of them is fairly safe. I don't know that I'd try the shooting sticks on a Western Diamondback that is 6 feet long....................????
If I am not worried about being quiet, I'll just shoot them with a pistol loaded with shot shells.