Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Primos Alpha Dog E-caller - likes & dislikes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Silver Member

Primos Alpha Dog E-caller - likes & dislikes?

I am looking for likes and dislikes of this e-caller. looking at picking one up. How is the audio quality at high volumes? clean or distorted? How is the ease of operation of the remote control? How solid is the USB updating of new calls into the caller?
Objective input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Primos Alpha Dog E-caller - likes & dislikes?

I just tried the Primos Alpha Dogg caller for the first time yesterday. I test all the products I sell but I had not had a chance to use this caller yet. In short, I had a limited amount of time so I took the caller out of the box, stuffed some batteries in it, flipped through the menu and went hunting. (I'm not particularly techy so this is saying something.) On the first stand, I called the biggest coyote of the season into shotgun range and dumped him at 25 yards if a testimonial is worth anything. The photo doesn't do this dog justice. He had long, beautiful gaurd hair--really a nice coyote.

Review-wise, the caller has a well thought out design. The speakers fold in and the legs fold up. There is a remote anchor on the back of the caller. The remote was very easy to use. All the functions should be easily manipulated even with heavy winter gloves on. (The remote functions are easier to work than my Foxpros IMO.) It has two "hot" buttons for preprogrammed sounds. It comes with a Pup Distress sound as Hot #1 and some Rodent Distress as Hot #2 to use as a coaxer.

The speakers seemed to be comparable to the Foxpro Spitfire and Wildfire as far as fidelity goes with more volumn. The sounds themselves however had a hollow sound to them like they were recorded in a bathroom. The unit is capable of using MP3 files and other recordings so it would be interesting to try some other files in it to see how they compare. (Note that the coyote I shotgunned didn't seem to mind the fidelity of the speaker system. ) It seemed that the legs and hinges may not stand as much abuse as a single piece unit but time will tell on that.

That is my take on the caller so far. Fire away with any questions. I may or may not be able to answer them at this point in time.

Tim
NOS

Here's a link to the caller in my store: Primos Alpha Dogg
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

One can't dispute fur on the ground. nicely done.

I have read about the leg issue elsewhere.

I find your comment about the quality of the recording to be interesting. Nice to know the amplifier is not clipping off the audio inspite the quality of the recording. Your comments are helpful regarding the user ergonomics and the ease of operation.

Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Haven't used mine yet but I know one thing...This sucker is LOUD!!! IMO, the remote is more complicated than it needs to be.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 AM
SPONSOR

A couple more Alpha Dogg/shotgun victims from yesterday....

And one rifled coyote from Thursday.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 11-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Gold Member

I haven't used one yet. But they don't come pre loaded with snowshoe hare ( the only rabbit in Alaska, where as the FoxPro does. That will have a lot to do with. My purchase.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
I haven't used one yet. But they don't come pre loaded with snowshoe hare ( the only rabbit in Alaska, where as the FoxPro does. That will have a lot to do with. My purchase.
I checked out the Primos Web site and the Snow Shoe Rabbit Distress sounds can be purchased for $1.99.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member