Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Preferred Snowshoes for Predator Hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Preferred Snowshoes for Predator Hunting?

I've been looking around for a pair of snowshoes for coyote/fox hunting up here in Wisconsin but there are so many choices. I tried hunting last winter without them in a few feet of snow, and all I can say is NEVER AGAIN!!!

I am 5' 9", 200lbs (all muscle of course!) and with hunting clothes and gear, I imagine I would be in the 220 to 230lb range. My hunting would take place in a variety of terrain from rolling hills and woods, to low lands and marshes. I'm looking to go with one of the newer styles. I don't really have a budget, so I'm open to anything. I figure if I'm going to spend the money, I might as well pony up and get the best (buy once, cry once).

I've seen a few brands, MSR, Tubb, etc..., but they all look the same to me and I don't really know the quality difference between the brands.

So what brand and model of snowshoes do you guys use or prefer?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Preferred Snowshoes for Predator Hunting?

I scarfed up on a pair of those metal army surplus ones and do just fine. Heavy sage brush can be a bit of a prob but for mountains and rolling hills I can keep my feet under me. My max load with pack and rifle is nearly 300 pounds. Made my own things to fit my boots.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

I have a pair of Red Feather snowshoes that I like a lot. They're the only brand I've ever tried but they work well. The model is Hike; made in the good ol' USA too!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:38 PM
SPONSOR

I run the Atlas snowshoes...

all the new ones are pretty good... kinda a Ford vs. Chevy thing... lol
Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I scarfed up on a pair of those metal army surplus ones and do just fine. Heavy sage brush can be a bit of a prob but for mountains and rolling hills I can keep my feet under me. My max load with pack and rifle is nearly 300 pounds. Made my own things to fit my boots.

Same here. Sportsman's Guide had them for $30 with the bindings at Christmas time. Bought some for my whole family. They aren't as light as the new models, but they work. I have a set of MSR Denali's that I take when I go out on my snowmobile. They are compact and lightweight, but don't quite have the flotation that the old military ones do.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
I have a pair of Red Feather snowshoes that I like a lot. They're the only brand I've ever tried but they work well. The model is Hike; made in the good ol' USA too!
I didnt know your legs were long enough for you to be able to walk with snow shoes on

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Gold Member

I've used MSRs a lot and I really like them. You can easily modify the surface area to accomodate heavy loads by switching tails, and they are lightweight.