Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

PLEASE!! How Bout Some Tips on Yote Calling.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

PLEASE!! How Bout Some Tips on Yote Calling.

I have pretty much read what has been posted here but would like to hear more.

I have hunted yotes for years with hounds. But my experience with E calls is limited. I just got a new Foxpro Fury and ran out last night for a quick stand. I used the cottontail distress and some female yote barks and howels. No luck.

Right before dark I drove up the road to a high ridge and stuck the caller out the window and played the locator. The freaken woods lit up with replies.

We are getting a fresh snow as we speak and temps have been well below average this week with lows in the single didgets.

I am heading out in the morning. I have a few different places to hunt. From rolling hills with tmber around it to solid very hilly timber. My past experience is , here in the midwest the yote will hang around cows and livestock. Cows will be calving soon, yotes will be breading soon....

If you are an avid caller I would love to hear your advice.

Thanks! Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 01-29-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Bronze Member

Re: How Bout Some Tips on Yote Calling.

sounds like you got it figured out. cant blame it on a full moon cuz there isnt one right now, so i guess it just boils down to the same ol game of chance. just stay with it. try to down load a cow birthing on ur e-caller and try that, hahahah just kidding...
Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushcountry101 View Post
sounds like you got it figured out. cant blame it on a full moon cuz there isnt one right now, so i guess it just boils down to the same ol game of chance. just stay with it. try to down load a cow birthing on ur e-caller and try that, hahahah just kidding...
LMAO, I bet it would work. Having grown up on Iowa farm I can tell ya those sucker hang around knowing there will be goddies to clean up..

I am not expection results all the time. Just pointers to sharpen my skills. What do you guys think about changing up calls on the same stand? Like rabbit, then woodpecker and maybe another?? Would that tend to blow it calling too much??

Jeff
Old 01-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Bronze Member

iv always thought the same thing, i usually start out with a few female howls for a while, then work my way to a rabbit distress. and then throw in a pup distress at the end. dont want to scare anything off by getting to agressive to quick. only time i use a male challenge howl is during breeding season. or if i openly see a big coyote, and try to get his attention and see how he reacts to it. in my experiance, they are usually pretty leere and slow coming when its an agressive call.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the advice. I had a rough go of it last weekend all day Saturday (8 stands) and out again on Sunday evening for two stands. Finished the evening off Sunday watching 900 pounds of dead angus that has just been nibbled on. Not one yote sighted. I will keep at it.

Any advice appreciated.

Jeff

Old 01-26-2009, 10:12 PM

My advice is don't use barks, just non-dominant howls. For example the female invitation on the Foxpro or howler. Sometimes I use the invitational howl. Alot of times I will use the pup distress midsteam of my call'n.

Use the wind and call at YOUR advantage. Set up in a manner that the coyote has to get down wind of the call and present him to you with a shot. Alot of time the coyote can end up in front of you. The places I hunt I use a decoy on every stand. They see what is making the noise and won't even look at you. Gives you time to move if you need to. My decoy is a tool. Its Foxpros decoy.
I start my volume md. low and work up and then back down towards the end of a stand. But it all depends on each stand what I do.

Do you run the Fury continuosly? I keep my calls going all the time. My feeling is that what they are coming for anyway. It keeps them focused.

GOOD LUCK

BTW- If you call in thick stuff, I try to get the call up off the ground. They have to look up for it.

In Christ,

Song Dog

A man with true experience weighs volumes more than one with a theory!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Suppose to get snow again tonight. It has been cold here for a few days. I have been out scouting for scat. I know where to go now. I also got a call from a friend in Iowa. He has them located up there and I may head up there this weekend.

Thanks for the advice. I use to snare them live and put them in an 80 acre pen to train my hound pups back in Iowa. I know they will circle before coming in. I will play the wind better and stay out of the timber. I have probably been getting busted.

I will keep at it. I am on a mission now.

Thanks Song Dog,

Jeff