Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Other Electronic Call Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Other Electronic Call Options

It's worth a shot. I can get a cheap boom box for 30 bucks. Run input from my phone to the boom box. If I works ...... then bonus. If it don't. Well, I can use the boom box in the garage or in the camper or something. Either way, I'm not really out anything. I'll probably eventaully end up with a Foxpro anyway. I just don't want to spend tons of money unless I really take to it. I'm probably going to like it just fine. It'll give me something to do out of deer season.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 PM
SPONSOR

You do pretty much get what you pay for in e-callers. That said, if you want an inexpensive entry level caller and don't need tons of volume, get a Cass Creek. The Nomad Series isn't bad and you can add their external speaker to it. Heck, I called my first bobcat with the old caller with the corded remote. They will calll stuff.

Here is a link to the callers at No Off Season.

Cass Creek Game Calls Nomad MX3 Pred Remote w/Transmttr

Big Horn Speaker

Good luck with whatever you decide!
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Bronze Member

I really like the looks of the big horn speaker. The price aint bad either. I can plug that directly into my droid phone and play the MP3's I already have. If that don't work. I can always buy the cass creek or foxpro to upgrade it later.

Thanks alot for the link. My mind is made up ...... for now. The price of that speaker is just right for getting started.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Bronze Member

I was looking at my local wholesale sports store yesterday and got to try out the Cass Creek and the bighorn speaker. I really like the two. They have the Cass Creek caller with the remote that can give you moving sound for 59 bucks and they speaker was only 29. I'm more than happy to spend 90 bucks on the pair. The calls are limited, but these should work just fine. Also, if I want to play more calls I can download them to my droid phone and play them over the bighorn speaker (which plugs right into my phone).
Old 02-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Gold Member

Like tt35 stated, you generally get what you pay for with e-callers. What the higher end callers bring to the table is crystal clear, digital sounds without distortion. This is a must for those windy days. Less expensive callers have too much distortion and "white noise" that just don't sound right to varmints. Another option most higher end callers have is remote control. I sit 75 to 100 yds away from my speaker & decoy setup. Most coyotes will break downwind at some point to verify what they are hearing. Since they are focused on the source of the sound, they never even look my way.

Foxpro turns out some good e-callers and tends to have a solid following. I use a caller made by Wildlife Technologies. Both are great, but definitely some $$.

Check out the website: Varmint Al's. Somewhere in there he details how to cobble together a decent custom e-caller with parts available at local electronic parts. He also has several digital sounds that you can download and use. I believe there may be something similar on youtube. Good Luck.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Bronze Member

E callers do serve a purpose but to call one in with a hand call is way more rewarding. I do have a foxpro fx3 and I do like it, but I call in more with hand calls then the fx3. I think so many people have them that a good custom hand call is the way to go. jmo
Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

Make your own: Making a Homemade E-Caller

I did and it's plenty loud. Check out this site as well: Coyote Calling with Free MP3 Sounds about 3/4 of the way down the page is more info on how to make your own and sound files you can download.