Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Only found one coyote....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Only found one coyote....

Shot three coyotes today but only found one.
Rem 700 25-06 i know -i know ? only found one ?

Trying to learn to post a picture without it going to photobucket ? any help ?

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z188/olmike/
Old 05-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Only found one coyote....

You need to have it hosted somewhere such as photobucket but you can imbed it as above.
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Is what you need to have it imbedded in your post. </pre><hr />
or you can click on Image under Instant UBB Code when you post and paste the link in the pop up box.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

"You need to have it hosted somewhere such as photobucket but you can imbed it as above"

How do you imbed it -i did use photobucket.
Please give me very detailed info. b/c if you skip a step no matter how small it won't work.
Thanks a bunch for any help..-Mike
Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Bronze Member

Mike,
You need to click on the IMG Code for the picture in photobucket and paste that link in your post. That will do it. You were close but posted the wrong link. Hope that helps.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

OK Mortage Man you gave me the tip i needed !-Thanks

How's this for an odd wound channel -80yd hit standing at an angle.You can see a small blood spot lower neck/front shoulder area[first photo].
There was a big hollow cavity that i could see down into.&gt;100gr nos. bt
If i had taken my 22-250 i might have got the other coyote the recoil from the 25-06 is just a tad too much when trying get off multiple shots.
This coyote and a mate were jumped up when i was walking my foxpro down to a small rock outcropping.How's that for picking a good calling location ? Little too good but i'll take them anyway i can get them.

The other two i spoke of were trotting up a hill away from a long 40 minute set.
I laid down immediately and barked at them a couple of times they stopped and posed for a second -i knew they were way out there,i held 8ish" over the large ones back and into the wind about the same 8" and let a 100gr nos-bt go.
I heard the whop but not a good whop but he bawled two-three times ran in a big looping circle then disappeared into the brush.
I went to the spot where he stood and there was good blood sign all over the area and ranged back to where i shot from -365yds.I looked for him for about forty-fifty minutes to no avail and walked back down to where the blood sign was.
I caught movement in front of me [50yds] and there was the smaller coyote obviously looking for it's partner.Put crosshair on the shoulder but was a little shaky from all the walking/searching.The bullet went right down the front shoulder and tore the coyotes side open and its rearend wasn't working.It did some spins in the sage for a few seconds laid over then jumped up and ran around the hillside out of sight.There were blood spots six-eight inchs in diameter in the grass and up on the sagebrush but no coyote in sight.I looked for another forty minutes or so and could not believe i couldn't find either coyote.
I marked the area and did sweeps -zig-zags but could not find either one of them.Bummed out but what's a guy to do.
I went to the area to hunt b/c a rancher in a d&amp;s supply house told me the coyotes were eating his livestock for three years now.I usually wait until after labor day but will continue to shoot them due to the high numbers of coyote sign and no other animals to be seen.
The gun is a rem 700 w/a 6.5x20-50 zeiss conquest -100gr nos bt load 54gr imr 4350 win case ,had it since i was 20yrs i'm 47 now.Finally got to hunt w/it the way i dreamed of for many years. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Well thanks again for helping w/the photo uploading.-Mike
Old 05-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Nice pic Mike!!

Some coyotes just have a will to live, no matter what you hit them with. The one in the pic doesn't look like he had a very good day...I'm surprised you lost the one you shot at 50 yards, you woulda thunk it would drop him DRT??

Love the caliber/rifle as well!!

Any idea how fast those 100g NBT's are going with that IMR-4350 load?? Whats your accuracy like??

Good luck and hope you get A LOT more!!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

Nice gun and nice coyote Mike. Man I wished I had one of those foxpro's I hear lots good about them, sounds like you like your's too. Do you think you hit that one coyote in the butt?, the one that circle'd around.
I miss more coyotes than I hit, its just something about a running target, I think. I missed one by Durkee last week. I seen this deer charging at something up this hill. A closer look he was chasing a coyote off. Man I couldnt pass this off. I plopped down with my bi-pod (non-swivel) 25-06AI, the ground was uneven so put my hand under the left leg to level the crosshair. My guess was 550-600 yards (ordered a new CRF 1200) so I just put the plex on the top of his head. Shot hit at his feet, oops I forgot my lead holdover. Oh well, maybe he will think twice next time before he messes with another deer.