Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Not Long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member

Not Long range

But cool nonetheless. Maximum distance will be around 250. I sigthed it in at 200 and with the 2.8 magnification and non-reflective targets that is pretty much max. Maybe with glowing eyes it will give another 50 yards?

New NS-D520-G2+ mounted up. Da torch IR Illuminator, and man does this thing light up the night. For Gen2, this is as good as it gets from what I hear.

Nocte Venator
Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Not Long range

That is sweet, I'm looking at a similar setup. How does it work on a star filled night?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Not Long range

Pfft. This thing is amazing. Only on the darkest of nights is the illumintaor needed.

I have yet to credit any kills to it, but for target shooting out to 250 I only use the illuminator for a final "target identification" and to be absolutely accurate on my POA. I suspect when I finally get a yote, or similar sized animal, in the scope I will do the same to get the most accurate POA.

I have seen deer on the far edge of one of my fields (285 yds) and I can tell if it is a buck or a doe without illumination unless there is very little to no ambient light. Now I can't count tines or anything without the illuminator, but it speaks to the image abilities. I would say tines under the 3 to 4 inch range I cannot make out at that range due to the low magnification.

By no means does it gather light like a Gen3, but for hunting I don't think it can be beat. IMO, 200 yards is a VERY long shot for night hunting operations.

Nocte Venator