Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

New rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: New rifle

Well if your calling in birds then you have some good sounds. Have you tried howling yet. As soon as the snow stops it will prolly be good hunting.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

Once ever three or four stands I'd howl a couple times. Next trip out I'm going to howl and listen for an answer if i get one I'll hunt if not I'll drive on. Blind calling seems to be a waste of time here, there are miles and miles of area to hunt figure it's time to cover more ground.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

Remember, lynx can take quite a bit of time to come in. With the rabbit population way down it may produce good results. What bullet are u shooting? The 80 gr Hornady fmj was a sub inch bullet in my 243 and seems to kill them just fine. Works from fox to wolves. And doesn't blow them up.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

dogbuster thank you for the report. I see a lot of these rifles in the fun shops
but I have not heard any first hand reports so far. Glad to hear yours is as
accurate as it is. And I to am a fan of the 243 win., seems the more I shoot it the more I like it.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

I've been taking 45min or so on each stand, making a few calling sequences per stand not really doing anything diff than I did back home. I always give a good deliberate scan before I pack things up and relocate too. I'm thinking it's just nothing close enough to hear the call except moose and birds...lol Only a matter of time before my target animals are in the area and I connect.

Thanks for the support on the review too guys, I hadn't found a review buy some one who wasn't trying to sell them. Figured we could all benefit from an honest opinion on the rifle. I grew up shooting the 243win killed everything from racoons to deer with the caliber. I used to use the 75gr hp, for deer always used hornady 95gr bt they're rough on fur but will absolutely drop deer with a neck or even well placed behind the shoulder shot. I'm shooting the 58gr hornandy v-max superformance so far, haven't tested it on critters yet, I'll let you guys know how they perform asap. If anyone has used them feel free to let us know. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbuster0006 View Post
I hadn't found a review buy some one who wasn't trying to sell them. Figured we could all benefit from an honest opinion on the rifle.
So true. I hope to hear a little more about this rifle.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:02 AM
Silver Member

Three benifits I can see to them are the adjustable trigger, the stock fit. And its American made. .
Plus its in the 243 . Wish they would make it in 6.5 Creed. With a n 8" twist .