Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting


Reply

new to coyote hunting

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Creswell, Or
Posts: 224
new to coyote hunting

My brothers and I decided to start hunting coyotes so we went and bought an electronic call and a quiver decoy. We are looking for any advice on how to get started. How to set up, how long to call, and all the other good stuff. We just got back from the christmas valley area here in Oregon for 2 days with no luck Ryan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lynchburg, TN
Posts: 714
Re: new to coyote hunting

I'm not trying to be smart here but the most important rule of coyote hunting is to hunt where the coyotes are. Get out and scout your hunting area for coyote sign: tracks, scat scent posts, howling, etc. I know there are coyotes almost everywhere but coyotes are territorial and their territories are big. You've got to locate a area they're using now. Once you find that, the calling is fairly easy. Set up downwind or sidewind to the area you expect them to come from and use any of a number of good prey in distress calls. Most everything else you'll learn with experience.

Watching some of the videos available will also give you a head start. Good luck. Hint: The breeding season starts in a couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NW Montana
Posts: 582
Re: new to coyote hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
I'm not trying to be smart here but the most important rule of coyote hunting is to hunt where the coyotes are. Get out and scout your hunting area for coyote sign: tracks, scat scent posts, howling, etc. I know there are coyotes almost everywhere but coyotes are territorial and their territories are big. You've got to locate a area they're using now. Once you find that, the calling is fairly easy. Set up downwind or sidewind to the area you expect them to come from and use any of a number of good prey in distress calls. Most everything else you'll learn with experience.

Watching some of the videos available will also give you a head start. Good luck. Hint: The breeding season starts in a couple of weeks.
Yup, Nimrod is right. I'd checkout Predator Nation as well. I think it's on VS. Don't expect the kind of luck they have on the show. But they do give a bunch of useful tips etc. and it'll help you get a good idea of how/where to set up.
Good luck
Cody
__________________
I like things that go "bang"... I love things that go "BOOM!"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by threejones
Yup, Nimrod is right. I'd checkout Predator Nation as well. I think it's on VS. Don't expect the kind of luck they have on the show. But they do give a bunch of useful tips etc. and it'll help you get a good idea of how/where to set up.
Good luck
Cody
X2 predator nation and predator quest are two of my favorites...good advice on both...rare to have that good of luck but that's what those guys do for a living and that's basically the " highlights" of the hunts too...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 185
Re: new to coyote hunting

bigry26,
There's lots of good information on Predator Master's website.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

There's a lot to learn, where predator hunting is concerned. Be patient! Assume that the coyote is hunting you...and is armed. Your approach will be entirely different.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
__________________
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter57
bigry26,
There's lots of good information on Predator Master's website.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com...s.php?ubb=cfrm

Assume that the coyote is hunting you...and is armed. Your approach will be entirely different.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Good point, always keep your eyes and ears open, its not always the yote you want to keep your eyes on, there's bigger things that look down on us on the food chain.....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,280
Re: new to coyote hunting

Some pretty good info in the articles posted on this site. Additionally I spent some time with Tim Titus from No Off Season that I considered well worth it. He's in Oregon and I believe he can shave significant frustration time from the learning process.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: new to coyote hunting
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coyote Hunting Predatorial Series #3 - Coyote In The Crosshairs By Greg Ballard Len Backus Technical Articles - Discussion 28 10-13-2013 05:44 PM
Read 30 coyote hunting articles - newly organized "coyote hunting" category page Len Backus Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 1 04-20-2011 11:46 AM
New to Coyote Hunting. shweedel Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 6 01-12-2011 11:12 PM
First Day Of Coyote Hunting younggun Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 5 11-18-2010 06:53 AM
Coyote Hunting Len Backus Nature Photography 4 11-02-2007 07:10 PM

Current Poll
I currently have hunting preference points in the following states

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC