Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

New bino RFs on the way

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Bronze Member

New bino RFs on the way

Well, I finally decided to end my rangefinder review web searching agony and pulled the trigger on some Fusion 12x50s along with a ProChrono digital. Hopefully I won't shoot another coyote's foot off due to poor ranging like what happened last year. The Savage 112 22-250 put that 40 grainer right where it was told...by me....to bad I suck at guessing ranges over 300yds. He was napping on a round bale with his front legs draped down over the curve of the bale. The front left paw exploded and he ran off. I went home and google mapped it to find it was a little over 540 yds from the gate to the hay bale. I'm planning on having lots of fun with the 12x50 fusions this winter.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 PM
SPONSOR

Re: New bino RFs on the way

I love my Leica BRF's. Fast and no fumbling back and forth between the bino's and RF. Let us know what you think of the Fusions.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Bronze Member

They arrived:
After programming for rifle mode, 200yd zero, 22-250 50gr V-max, which is the Fusion's "H" ballistics curve, I wanted to verify the unit's MOA calculation near my self imposed max coyote range. I prefer MOA to inches and clicks, that the unit is capable of, since I use target knobs marked in minutes on my VXIII scopes. I ranged some brush at 550 yds and the Fusions noted 7.9 minutes were required above a 200yd zero. Huskemaw's online ballistic calculator listed 7.8 without my tinkering with elevation, temp and baro pressure, so the Fusions passed test #1 with an A+. This was one of my biggest concerns. Since the 22-250 is so flat shooting, some units don't accurately track bullet flight for it.

I also played with target, brush and standard mode. I was reasonably impressed with the units ability to screen out VERY heavy brush and trees to pick up objects behind them. But, those objects were not coyotes or deer, so I will reserve judgement on brush mode for later.

It is fully overcast here in NE OK this evening and just as dusk was waning to dark (5:40 pm), I viewed some dark pockets of timber and covered sheds facing east at 200 to 500 yds....I was very impressed. If I can't hunt right up to legal shooting hours with this bino, even on cloudy days, I need to get some cataracts removed! As a bonus, I now know what the neighbors are keeping in their sheds...nosey me.

So far so good...more to come.

JB
Old 02-03-2012, 12:29 AM
SPONSOR

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a good unit. What is the RF rated for distance wise?
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 02-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

I really like my Fusion 1600's. I've ranged hard objects out to 1480 and deer easily out past 600 without problems. They are pretty good in low light...almost as good as my Monarch ATB binos, but not quite. Overall I decided I couldn't live with having a rangefinder and binos..just too clumsy getting both out and switching from one to the other...

I think you'll like yours too.

Matt
Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt35 View Post
Thanks for the review. Sounds like a good unit. What is the RF rated for distance wise?
1600 reflective
1000 tree
500 deer

Although I and many others have ranged black cattle from 800 to 1400 yards in bright daylight, it's probably best to consider it a 500 to 600 yd deer unit in adverse weather and terrain. I don't worry about that unless I am planning to hunt antelope or varmits on flat ground where it would be hard to range rocks, trees or brush next to the animal, cause there isn't any.