Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

More than one way to skin a coyote.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

More than one way to skin a coyote.

I didn't feel like dragging this guy the mile back to the pickup so I had to improvise. I used my drag rope and shooting sticks (one more reason to love shooting sticks) to hang him up. I've skinned them on the ground before but it's much easier for me if they're hanging.

More than one way to skin a coyote.-dscn0509.jpg

When I'm closer to the truck I use the handy hanger-upper my boss made for me. What a guy!

More than one way to skin a coyote.-dscn0511.jpg

I've found that skinning them in the field while they're warm is much easier than getting home at night with a frozen load of coyotes to deal with. Plus I can leave the mess (and smell) in the field. I once skinned a gut-shot coyote in my garage and the smell about killed me. The wife was less than impressed too. Any pro skinners out there with useful advice to share??
Old 04-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: More than one way to skin a coyote.

Whatcha do with the hides after you skin 'em?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Bronze Member

stretch 'em and sell'em
Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt183 View Post
stretch 'em and sell'em
I had no idea they were worth the effort.

I hunt them to decrease fawn fatality.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Pealing them warm is the only way to go!! In middle school I learned to trap from a long line coyote man, good thing I was young and stupid or I would have given up before I learned anything, he was a learn to skin first then trapping later kind a guy. I'll have to look around but I have a light little gizmo made from snare cable that I used to hang a coyote up if I skinned it away from my truck, I've also built a couple neat skinning poles for back bumper or the front cow catcher.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I had no idea they were worth the effort.

I hunt them to decrease fawn fatality.
I'd heard a rumor that folks were getting $40 or more for a put up pelt, and $20 on the carcass. This was before they were all rubbed out, but it made me think real hard about a trip over the divide... Then I remembered how lazy I am...

How much were you guys actually getting for a good pelt all put up? My uncle has been asking us to make a trip to his place over east for some yote control, but it's a long trip just to shoot yotes... unless it pays enough to make it worth it.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

If I remembered right the Montana/Alberta coyotes averaged in the mid $60 range in the sales last year, we just had to much going on this winter to get serious about trapping for fur but next year I think we'll punch a line in.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"