Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Missed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

Missed

I went calling Saturday down on my farm. Set up and after 20 minutes a coon started crossing the field at 300 yards. He was on a mission and would not stop. I finialy quit calling and waited 10min before I desided to get up. Just then I saw a coyote headed towards me down the edge of the field. He stopped at 200 yards and started sniffing around where I had dropped off a deer carcase back in December. Knowing what I know now, I should have called him right up to me. He gave me a good broardside shot and I had a steady rest over a dirt pile. I put the cross hairs on him and squeezed the trigger. He jumped up and then started looking around. I can't believe I missed that shot. I took carefull aim and missed again. He started trotting off and stopped in the middle of the field. I shot again and he just trotted off. He never did run, he didn't know what was going on and just left the field. I got up and went to my shootingrange and set up a target at 100yds. It was shooting 6" low at 100. That means it was way under him at 200. I have mill dots and know where this rifle shoots at up to 400 yards. I have not shot this rifle in 2 months but I have carried it with me all hunting season. I hunt almost everyday during deer season from a blind and take this 223 along with my deer rifle just incase I see a varmint to shoot. I checked everything on the rifle and scope and it was tite. I don't remember dropping it but something happened, to be off that much. I sighted in my new 22-250 last week and started to take it instead of the 223 but I didn't. Back to the drawing board.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Missed

A changing rifle zero has the single largest cause of missed shots, in my own hunting experiences. I check rifle zero often. A fully free floated barrel with a glass-bedded barreled action helps a lot. But lumps, bumps, and jars to the rifle can affect POI, no matter how much money you invest in building a rugged rifle.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Bronze Member

I feel for you. Last Saturday I missed a coyote as well. I still for the life of me don't know how I missed. My Tikka Scout 223 is generally dead on I called in a coyote to about 75yds and he started to circle me with he was good and broad side I barked at him and he stopped I put the crosshairs on him and squeezed the next thing I saw was a coyote rocket streaking across the field. My daughter is spraying bullets at him out of the AR and finally about her 4th shot she dumped him. I was amazed I missed I came home and went to the range and at 100 yds I was dead on 3 bullets inside 3/4in at that range I just screwed up and that I think makes it worse :-) Sunday was the redeemer tho I shot 3 coyotes with the tikka one shot each stone dead so that just re enforced I GOOFED.... My question is did that make it better or worse :-)
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257WTBY View Post
I feel for you. Last Saturday I missed a coyote as well. I still for the life of me don't know how I missed. My Tikka Scout 223 is generally dead on I called in a coyote to about 75yds and he started to circle me with he was good and broad side I barked at him and he stopped I put the crosshairs on him and squeezed the next thing I saw was a coyote rocket streaking across the field. My daughter is spraying bullets at him out of the AR and finally about her 4th shot she dumped him. I was amazed I missed I came home and went to the range and at 100 yds I was dead on 3 bullets inside 3/4in at that range I just screwed up and that I think makes it worse :-) Sunday was the redeemer tho I shot 3 coyotes with the tikka one shot each stone dead so that just re enforced I GOOFED.... My question is did that make it better or worse :-)
Yea I know S!!! happens. I don't miss much 3 coyotes out of 50 0r 60 over the years. The one I missed last year was 75 yds. I was prone and put the cross hairs between his eyes and I missed. I checked the scope and it was dead on. I just missed and can deal with that but when my scope is off 12" and I don't remember dropping it. Just can't under stand how it could have been off that much. Ooooooooooo well I will get over it some day
Old 02-05-2014, 01:14 PM

Apparently Sunday was a bad day. I was stacking firewood behind the barn and had my Sako Sporter in 223 nearby. I overlook hayfields 200-400 yards. A feral cat I had seen a couple of days earlier appeared at about 200 yards, stopped and just sat up for me. I rested on the wood pile, put the crosshairs on the center of its body and touched off the round. The cat flinched but then just sat there looking around like WTF was that? I'm guessing it was the bullet whizzing by.

So down to the range I went and I was putting sub 1" groups 1" high, 1" right, not enough to miss center body mass target though. I don't know? But I'm dialed in now!