Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Match bullets on coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 01:42 AM
Bronze Member

Match bullets on coyotes

Since bullets are hard to get now, I was thinking about using match bullets, like Hornady Match and A-Max bullets on coyotes. I want to use my AR-15 in 5.56 and a 6mm AI. The 6mm AI will be for windy days and longer shots. How do match bullets perform on coyotes? Do they have bone splash and leave big exit holes? I would like to keep the pelts in good shape. Does anybody have first hand experience of them on animals? It is good coyote hunting now and do not want to waste it working up loads and then finding out that they do not work well on coyotes. If they do work then it sure opens up some good options as the heavier bullets seem to be mainly match bullets.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:08 AM
Silver Member

Re: Match bullets on coyotes

The only experience I have hunting with match bullets is with SMKs. They failed to expand 3 different times. I have no desire to use them again, but other people use them all the time. I have heard a lot of good things about the A-MAX. They are very similar in design to the SST. I have a lot of experience with the SST, and would not hesitate to use the A-MAX. But I'm willing to bet they are going to do some pelt damage.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:32 AM
Gold Member

Yes they do. Enough said.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Gold Member

I was limited to max 75gr HPBT in my Savage 10 with 20" 1:9.25 twist and those were by far the most effective bullets on coyote that I have shot from my 223. Just got a 1:8 26" barrel with a wylde chamber so will be trying some 80gr VLD's soon. Heavy bullets matter if you are taking long shots and there is any wind. The 75gr HPBT had half the wind drift of the 55gr Vmax. The 80gr Berger will be even better.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
I was limited to max 75gr HPBT in my Savage 10 with 20" 1:9.25 twist and those were by far the most effective bullets on coyote that I have shot from my 223. Just got a 1:8 26" barrel with a wylde chamber so will be trying some 80gr VLD's soon. Heavy bullets matter if you are taking long shots and there is any wind. The 75gr HPBT had half the wind drift of the 55gr Vmax. The 80gr Berger will be even better.
How much pelt damage did the 75 grain bullets do? What brand / type of bullets were you using? Berger says that their match bullets are good for varmints, not sure if it is coyotes or prairie dogs? I have a Rock River 1:8 twist 20 inch match barrel.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

wizard:

I wrote an article about coyote hunting a few yrs back and covered some of this. You may be interested in reading it. AJ
Songdog Fever -- Coyote Hunting
Old 01-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
wizard:

I wrote an article about coyote hunting a few yrs back and covered some of this. You may be interested in reading it. AJ
Songdog Fever -- Coyote Hunting
Nice article, thanks for sending it to me.