Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

mange on yotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: mange on yotes

We had lots of rabbits down on my parents farm. Plus lots of wood ticks. Hell when I was a boy I would spend the whole day down in the river bottom. Hunreds of wood ticks later I was always allright. One day my wife called me and said , that my youngest had a tick that she noticed while giving her a bath that night . I instructed her to pull it and about a week later my daughter woke up ill and had huge bumps on her neck. I took her to the doctor , he said nothing to worry about that she was just fighting off a virus. She wasn't better a week later went back to doctor . Again they said it would be ok just a virus. A week later again she could keep any food down. Took her to a different doctor they took blood and said get her to childerens hospital in omaha asap. We left that night and they had a room for us when we arrived on the center for infectious deseaze floor . Lady looked at her and asked if she had been bitten by anything I thought tick. Wham o she said tullareama. Blood work came back positive for that. Three weeks later we were let out of hospital. Talk about a close call . It was horrible . Ive learned that ticks can be serious
Old 08-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Bronze Member

Re: mange on yotes

My understanding is that mange is caused by mites and is only really a problem when the population gets big. I don't even touch any mangy dogs I shoot. I hear some guys say they bury them to stop the spread. That seems like a good idea however most of the time I'm coyote hunting the ground is frozen and I don't have a shovel in hand.

In regards to dogs howling but not coming in it is my opinion that in those situations the coyotes have busted you and they're not coming in. I have only seen a few coyotes come in after howling. Mostly when they come in they are silent but not necessarily every time.