Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Made a few stands yesterday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Made a few stands yesterday

Wish I had some info on the 58s but in order to keep my 12 yr old fired up about coyote hunting I have to leave my .243 in the truck. He doesn't take kindly to me shooting coyotes out from under him. Go figure. So I packed the shotgun and he had the M77 .223 shooting a 55 grain Speer sp. Fifteen minutes into the first stand this big male showed up and gave him a 125 yard quartering shot into the shoulder. The coyote was instantly flattened. Tiny entrance hole, no exit.
Made a few stands yesterday-imgp2907.jpg

Five minutes into the second stand this guy came sprinting in from our left flank. I rolled him at 20 yards with a load of 3" lead BBs before he was able to eat the caller. He didn't even wiggle. It was nice to finally get to use the shotgun this year.Made a few stands yesterday-imgp2912.jpg

Third stand produced nothing. Eight minutes into the fourth stand this big round male came walking over the ridge towards us. Another quartering shot into the front shoulder with the .223 at 120 yards. The bullet entered on the point of the shoulder and at least part of it exited out of a dime sized hole in the top of his back. The pictures don't do him justice. Honestly the fattest coyote I've ever seen. It looked like he had just swallowed a watermelon.
Made a few stands yesterday-imgp2915.jpg

The rest of the day was a bust but it was still a great time.
Made a few stands yesterday-imgp2920.jpg

The boy's back in school this week so hopefully I can get out and get some info on the 58s.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:41 PM
SPONSOR

Nice, jt! That is one fat coyote! I understand. I started calling with my youngest son when he was eleven. It's a fine line you walk as a father. Good on ya'.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 12-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Bronze Member

This one was running full speed straight at me when I hit her at 45 yards with a Sierra 60 gr HP from the .243. The bullet entered three inches below the chin. It shattered several vertebrae but did not exit out the back of the neck. She slid close to 6 feet in the snow before coming to a stop.

Made a few stands yesterday-imgp2923.jpg

I'm liking the Sierras but that was my last one so I'll be shooting the 58 gr Z-Max for the rest of the season. I'm assuming the Z-Max is basically the same as the V-Max, just a different colored tip. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:44 PM
SPONSOR

Love the skid mark, jt!
www.no-off-season.com

Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Bronze Member

Finally had the chance to shoot a couple with the 58 grain Z-Max. The first coyote was a young female and the shot placement wasn't ideal. First shot was 370 yards through the middle of a back leg. Finished her with a Texas heart shot at 50 yards. Both shots hit lots of bone but neither left a hole bigger than a silver dollar.

Then I shot a big male quartering towards me at 90 yards. The bullet hit right at the point of the shoulder. It shattered the shoulder and killed him drt. .24 cal entrance hole and no exit. Doesn't get much better than that.

I'm only using 40.5 grains of IMR 4064 which the Hornady manual says should produce 3500 fps from a 24" barrel. It's not a screamer but it still seems to hit with authority. I still keep a couple 87 grain V-Max loads in the bottom of the magazine just in case I have a long range opportunity. Fortunately my gun shoots both loads to the same point of impact.

Any more luck with the 65s?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:57 AM
SPONSOR

Thanks for the info. The last several coyotes were shot with the 87 grain V-maxes which is my contest load. It does what you would expect...tears the heck out of them! (One frontal shot stayed inside.) A client took a couple with the 70 grain BK out of his 6mm Rem. The end-on coyote was perfect, of course, but the broadside shot was high in the back and had a pretty big exit. Can't blame the bullet for that though. I'm wondering if the last quartering-on coyote that I took with the 65 didn't deflect and fragment before it got into the chest when it clipped the high "elbow" joint on the front leg.
www.no-off-season.com

Last edited by tt35; 12-19-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Bronze Member

Today I shot an average sized female broadside behind the shoulder at 330 yards with the 58 Z-Max load. I was surprised to find that the bullet exited leaving a quarter sized exit hole. Wasn't expecting that! Velocity must have been slow enough that the bullet held together instead of violently coming apart inside the critter. I'm not complaining, the coyote is plenty dead and not torn up. Just making an observation. Did you ever have any passthroughs on broadside shots with the 58s?