Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Looking for good late season mitten choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 AM

Looking for good late season mitten choices

I'm looking for a pair of good mitts for late season hunts. We're talking REAL late season mittens. I look at reviews on Cabela's and see comments like, "I hunted all day in the bitter cold and 30 degrees didn't even get my hands cold!" I hunt in ND and MN... 30 degrees is light jacket and no glove weather! I'm looking for something that will keep my hands warm on the -10 degree full moon hunts. Preferably something in white/snow camo. Must have something that allows me to expose my trigger finger for shooting and call use...
Old 10-03-2013, 03:32 PM

Re: Looking for good late season mitten choices

I can't really suggest a specific mitten but Something that's worked for me really well is a pair of thin gloves under a large pair of fleece lined mittens. As a kid I can remember my hands getting cold all the time with just the mittens that allow you to expose your fingers. I haven't had a problem pairing the thin gloves I can still shoot with and a mitten. In fact my hands usually get so hot on the walk that I end up having to open the mitt to expose my fingers in the thin glove so my hands don't sweat. Grant it I'm only getting into the -10 degree range.

I bet though if you can find a really nice pair of thin gloves with windblocker in them (like at a place that sells Nordic skis) you could find yourself a regular mitten from cabelas and combine the two.

I've never needed to use them but I carry a pair of those chemical pocket heaters with me just in case I ever need to drop them in the finger pocket of the mittens.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:00 AM

I've been very happy with my set from arctic shield, is a glove mitten system using space suit technology
Old 10-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Bronze Member

I had to laugh at the header for your post, being a Michigander, we refer to Michigan as a Mitt to point at for a certain location in the State, So my first thought was tat you were looking for places in Michigan to hunt.

Stay a warm, and good luck

Calling The Wild