Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Longest Coyote Kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: Longest Coyote Kill

I got one a few weeks ago at 653yds. I've shot steel many times way further than that, but that was my first real long range animal. Ranged it, dialed it, held the wind and dumped it on the spot. 30 Gibbs. 155gr SMK. I was pretty happy about it.

Have shot a few at 350+ over the years with 22-250 with holdover guesses.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust View Post
I'd like to see the math on that one.
Before the clearcut grew up so we couldn't see it there was a waterfall that would freeze. This was in Sitka. It was around 600+ yards away. Using a Ranging 1000 range finder. This was pre electronic consumer laser range finders. It took me 4 shots with the iron sights to get the on the desired impact point. With my new purchased Chinese SKS. I paid 68$ for it in the factory cosmoline. I could keep most of my shots in a 3'x3' square. Many of them in a 1'square.

Obviously that is in no way sniper accurate. But we were amazed at how well it shot with surplus ammo.

Hopefully, soon I can afford a long range rifle and scope so I can learn how to make the kind of shots y'all are doing. The math is kind of daunting to me so I'm looking at the Horus reticule and the Ziess 1000 reticule.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Gold Member

395yds. Remmy 700 with a Brux tube and tuned factory trigger in 270win. Trotting across the aflalfa field. Bang, flop. Tiny hole on the near side... big mess on the other side.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:22 AM
Bronze Member

Doubled up this morning. Went out set up and started calling with my 13 yr daughter. I saw a Yote running across the wheat stubble at about 1000yds running straight to us. I wanted her to shoot so i kept calling and he stopped at 200yds or so. I told her to hold on him and right before i said shoot i saw two other coyotes on the hill the first one had came from I told her to hold off a sec. I ranged the yote at 619yds. I cranked the scope put the crosshairs on the one i was going to shoot. Both the coyotes on the hill were sitting watching the one in front of us. She shot rolled hers with her little 243 the one i was going to shoot stood i lit off the 257 WTBY and then a second later heard the bullet hit. It was a great morning we got 7 coyotes total today. I have pictures of hers it was her first called in she has shot a couple during deer season but never with me calling so it was cool. Got all of them skinned stratched fleshed and salted before i came in tonight so i will be busy tanning the hides this week.

How do i get a picture to post on here???

Thanks Fella's
Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 AM
Gold Member

I attach the. Img code from my photobucket album pic. I copy and paste it.

That sounds great
I hope you get the pics put up here.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257WTBY View Post
Doubled up this morning. Went out set up and started calling with my 13 yr daughter. I saw a Yote running across the wheat stubble at about 1000yds running straight to us. I wanted her to shoot so i kept calling and he stopped at 200yds or so. I told her to hold on him and right before i said shoot i saw two other coyotes on the hill the first one had came from I told her to hold off a sec. I ranged the yote at 619yds. I cranked the scope put the crosshairs on the one i was going to shoot. Both the coyotes on the hill were sitting watching the one in front of us. She shot rolled hers with her little 243 the one i was going to shoot stood i lit off the 257 WTBY and then a second later heard the bullet hit. It was a great morning we got 7 coyotes total today. I have pictures of hers it was her first called in she has shot a couple during deer season but never with me calling so it was cool. Got all of them skinned stratched fleshed and salted before i came in tonight so i will be busy tanning the hides this week.

How do i get a picture to post on here???

Thanks Fella's

Here is the link with step by step instructions on how to load pics from your computer.

How to upload pictures directly from your computer to LRH
Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 AM
SPONSOR

Great job, 257! Congrats to your daughter as well.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."