Originally Posted by 270VARMINT
Any prefered AR'S out their?
Well, having built a few for my brother and his LE friends, there's a few things I have learned.
1) Bushmasters are very tight.
2) DMPS are looser, but also less expensive.
3) Quality magazines are important, some don't feed worth a damn no matter what rifle you put them in.
4) You can spend a pile of money very easily on an AR. It's like Barbie, for men.
5) It's an amazingly adaptable platform to work with and from.
If you intend to solely use it for plinking and hunting yotes, I'd gear up with a Bushmaster (17141 - Bushmaster Varminter Semi Automatic Rifle .223 Remington/5.56x45mm NATO 24" Fluted Barrel 5 Rounds Black A2 Buttstock Black Anodized Finish
) and accessorize it to tailor it to your personal style of shooting.
I use an A4A3 Shorty for hunting close in, a Rem 700 for long range stuff.
Alternatively, 58347 - ArmaLite AR-10A4CBF Semi Automatic Carbine .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm NATO 16" Barrel 20 Rounds Black M4 Collapsible Buttstock Black Anodized Finish
the AR10 might be a better choice. A little more expensive to feed, but much better reach out effective range, and most accessories that fit AR15's fit AR10's (but not all).
Everyone should have at least one AR in the family, IMHO.