Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Long time coming: First Coyote!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long time coming: First Coyote!!!

Small -nice job.!the first is hard especially in the cold. supposed to be -5 this weekend here. here is a vid son-inlaw . enjoy. roninflag Called in 5 - YouTube
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 PM

Congrats on your 1st. Nice shooting
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Bronze Member

well done. that one was not going to last much longer.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM

hey Small i hear ya for sure. i'm down in the Orland/bucksport area and i'm out almost every day(old and retired) last spring and summer i did fairly good. i changed from prey distress to howls /pup distress and i started having success pretty quick. the other thing i did was start staying on stand at least an hour. i think sitting longer is very important. lately though, oct.,nov, and dec i've done nothing. i don't know if it makes a dif. but our local club"bucksmills r&g" has killed 43 coyotes and a trapper friend of mine got 30 plus a few others here and there that i don't know about makes over 80 coyotes out of this small area down here .i don't know if that makes a big dent in the population and they're just scarce. i know it's not my lack of skill, how could that be? good luck to ya
don
Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Bronze Member

Don,
I'd be interested to get some of your knowledge on local hunting tactics. Seems not many around me hunt them, and the ones who do use bait. You say you use howls now. Daytime? Are you hunting woods or fields? Little stuff like that is what I've been trying to figure out. I live in Brewer and hunt off rt 9 past chick hill, in Hermon, and off the stud mill rd. Found lots of sign, just need to connect. The shotgun approach seems good, but I work nights and going out after work is hard.

Glad to hear there are people who are having success. Keep it up, the deer appreciate it.

Dustin
Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 PM

i hunt in the daylight only except for my bait which is out my back door"pajama hunting" yes for quite a while i used the rabbit distress and other prey sounds and saw a couple but did not get a shot. then i was reading this site and predator masters and guys were talking about howls and pup kyis so i went to them and also even more important i started staying longer, i mean at least an hour. right away i had action. i'm a member of the bucks mills rod and gun club and run the coyote contest.
don
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Bronze Member

Two more questions: any make of call you prefer? I have a bunch of mouth calls and an electronic one, but I prefer the mouth calls. And where can I get more info on this contest?

Dustin