Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Lion calling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lion calling

Tesero
Wow ! some great information, I might try something like that. I'll make sure I have some back though, when I do. LOL
Old 05-27-2012, 12:59 PM

do what we did....find your cat's territory and then your stand...and go in one day and start choppin and draggin brush so you make a tall barrier U behind you that the critter cant get through..so the only way to get to you is from the front..then open up the underbrush in your field of fire....and then build yourself a stand about 8 ft high in the back of the U...and then bugger off for 2-3 weeks..and then come back and start calling!
cats dont look up too much so best to be high and also helps carry your scent away - not that cats smell that well but they do smell better than you think.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Bronze Member

Yes I have called in Mtn. Lions; I like a critter call (song dog) it is higher pitched, and use a fawn ditress of any sort, if you are using electronics the one sound that works the best is a young male, the big toms are territorial, and wont stand for it, and dont believe they all sneak in for a meal, the last one I called in was shot 3 feet from the muzzle and it charged in, a good freind has also had this happen though most of time they will come slowly, the big toms have no fear, make sure you elevate yourself, standing, ladder, tall chair etc. dont sit on the ground.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck300 View Post
Yes I have called in Mtn. Lions; I like a critter call (song dog) it is higher pitched, and use a fawn ditress of any sort, if you are using electronics the one sound that works the best is a young male, the big toms are territorial, and wont stand for it, and don't believe they all sneak in for a meal, the last one I called in was shot 3 feet from the muzzle and it charged in, a good freind has also had this happen though most of time they will come slowly, the big toms have no fear, make sure you elevate yourself, standing, ladder, tall chair etc. dont sit on the ground.
That gets the adrenalin going LOL, been there before done that.
A tree stand is good, or pop up blind, right? I got a good partner, my 17 yr Old Grandson Dillon. We watch each others back. Besides all that, you saw the picture of my new knife... didn't you? A get the cat off your back, knife.

Thanks for the info, Buck. I'll look for a call like that. I was hunting last week a couple times. My partner and I called in some yotes, but our set-up spots are getting smaller with all the foliage. I used my pop-up blind that time. More than one yote started yipping within 50 yards of us; it sounded like something else was fighting with them too. LOL we were pumped up for a shot, with both of us carrying shotguns. I stopped calling and wondered if I should stop calling altogether at that time. I started to use a squeaker call and a yote popped up from behind me about 20 yards away, just long enough to see him and they were gone.

My Grandson said, "Grandpa this is what I love about hunting. You never know whats coming in, or when." LOL
Old 07-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Buck. Like Bob I am gonna have to try those calls out too. Sounds like you guys are having a great time! Keep us posted if you get anymore lion success. Wyoming's lion season doesn't start up again until September.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Well Alpinehunter and Buck, I'm fixin to go tomorrow night and hunt some yotes , or pigs or cats,,, whatever shows up LOL. I broke my holt call, the one I give the locator call with, dang it! and aint too happy bout that either. Was trying to get a seed out of it. Now it sounds like a fog horn...Don't need it anyway.
My three partners and I are doing a set-up, and I'm bringing the camera on this hunt. So I'll let you'al know what happens.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

Sounds like a good time! Don't forget to let us know how it goes.