Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Lion calling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lion calling

It sounds like you have too many close encounters for not actually wanting to hunt them. Let me know how it goes, Bob! Take photos if you get it.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Yea , Casey
LOL, it seems that way doesn't it. If I try to hunt for one, I never see one.
One of us four will get a shot in him for sure. My Son and two Grandson's want a shot at it bad. LOL... It scared my oldest grandson, and he was the first one that told me something was growling and circleing his stand. He hopped on the ATV and took off up to my stand. We thought maybe a wild dog or something that time, until it happened to me. My Son and the little guy haven't encountered it yet.
I will take pictures when, or if, we get it, for sure...
Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinehunter View Post
It sounds like you have too many close encounters for not actually wanting to hunt them. Let me know how it goes, Bob! Take photos if you get it.
Hey Alpinehunter,
I spotted a cougar yesterday on the edge of a clear cut. It wasn't a big one, but i got a good look at it; since it was turned sideways looking straight at me, about 60 yards. I just got on my ATV and took off up the trail and there it was. He was gone before I could stop. Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

Well SHOOT Bob! I haven't spotted one yet although I have been doing a lot of calling. Hopefully we will end up with one soon!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 AM

I have had some luck on lions u can't call them from very far need to know one's in the area. Snowshoe hare has worked best for me. Also stay on stand longer they come slow and quite be alert and don't move. Fawn distress can work too. 45 minutes to 1 hour is standard
Old 04-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocaller View Post
I have had some luck on lions u can't call them from very far need to know one's in the area. Snowshoe hare has worked best for me. Also stay on stand longer they come slow and quite be alert and don't move. Fawn distress can work too. 45 minutes to 1 hour is standard
wyocaller,
Thanks for that info, ... I'll try that. I'm fixin to have a Lion hide, and maybe cook up some Lion stew when this is over. This cat has been screwing around in my area too long. It's hard to pattern anything lately, because I got some lease jumpers coming in on the property and using dogs. I believe they are hunting hogs and whatever they come across they chase.
I saw the dogs at a house near my lease, wearing radio collars. I have seen deer running across the property with their tongues hanging out, being chased by something. I waited, but hadn't seen what's chasing them yet. This has happened on more than one occasion. One of the hunters on the adjacent property told me there used to be three dogs like that.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:18 PM

Saw this post from earlier this year. I just returned back to the NW after 2 decades of living in Central America in Jaguar country.
I know a few things about a male cat and one is that he is very territorial, two is that he loves to copulate to the n'th degree and three he detests with a passion any other male who is in his territory chasin his pussy.
So what we would do is find the territory of a big male by his tracks...and then try to call him in. We would use a gourd called a calabash that was hollow and dried...it looked like a small smooth pumpkin about the size of a soccer ball. On the top we would cut out a round hole about the size of a grapefruit. On the opposite side we drilled a small hole in the center and passed through 4 leather boot laces rubbed in pine rosin which were knotted on the outside of the gourd to hold in place.
One would hold the gourd curled up in left arm and then reach inside the gourd with right hand and gently start pulling on the rosined leather..the calabash would act like a drum and the sound emitted would be just like a guttural gruntish roar of the jaguar carrying the jungle. All big cats make similar sounds when telling females they are around and horny. When a resident male hears that sound in his territory he gets infuriated and starts calling back while coming in for the fight.
When I was a kid I logged in NW california and by woods boss told me that he had once made a 'lion caller' out of a bucket with cowhide and rosined sisal rope. The bucket was cut out so I was like a drum...the hide was soaked in water before lashed to the cut out bucket bottom. Same principal as the jaguar caller...he would call in lions for fun and also scare the s..it out of boyscouts camped out in the summer nights...
I am not sure if there are electronic calls that imitate this but I doubt they would have the carrying distance - resonance of the drum effect.
From my experience the mating call was much more effective than dying peccary calls etc as cats only respond to these when hungry and half they time they are not because they have 40 lbs of meat in their belly.