Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Lion calling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lion calling

Smallbutfierce,
The first pic is a 150 lb tom. He came in to the call which was behind me, my idea was if a cat came in it would come from the other way and the call would pull it past me. So much for that plan, the only reason I killed him is because when he left he walked past me on the right and into my field of view at about 75 yrds. My guess is he probably was within 30 yrds of me without me knowing. I now keep the call somewhat in my field of view.
The second cat was an old tom that was past his prime. We didn't get an actual weight but guessed him about 140 lbs. I don't know if you noticed but the cat has a radio collar. Fish and game said the cat was 8 or 9 yrs old. That time I had a partner with me and I set the call between us. He shot the cat at about 40 yrds.
The last pic is of a young 100 lb tom that came in to a similar set up as the second cat. That cat caught movement as my partner took the safety off and looked through the scope. He said the cat was trotting toward the call and when it saw the movement shifted course slightly and was coming right at him. His shot entered the cat at the base of it's lower right fang and into the mouth and through the cat lengthwise. The shot was at 30 yrds.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Lion calling-snapshot_20120117_4.jpg

Alpinehunter, Here is the call, and in my other hand is my knife LOL , which is always exposed on my right side in the same place on belt, when I hunt. The sheath is one that you don't have to unsnap. The knife can be pulled out of it, even though its secured. Thats what i'm talkin about! I can laugh about that cat but not forget. I had a problem with a deer once too, but thats another story. Knife says made in USA, too.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Holy smokes, especially on the last hunt!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Ha Ha looks like it would do the job well Bob!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

I have had two friends call them in and make the shot. The first was turkey hunting, the other was calling coyotes and made his first stand and within 10 minutes shot one using a Foxpro rabbitt squealer. Not saying that they could not do it again but neither of them were hunting cats when it happened just got lucky and had the skill to pull it off when it did happen. I have called many times and never seen a cat doing it but that doesnt mean they are not there.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

Update: Just the other day, I was told the kitten distress call works great.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Silver Member

Alpinehunter

I just bought one of those camo ground blinds (Gorilla $125), for coyotes. It takes less than 5 minutes to set it up. The last 2 times I went out, didn't see anything, except part of that cougar behind a laydown, couldn't get a good shot, just a glimpse.
This isn't the same cat I talked about in the other thread that sat down next to me LOL.
Called this one in with a rabbit call. It's the first time he showed himself to me. This critter growls about 3 or 4 times (short growls) and has done this on 2 other occasions where it didn't show itself. One of my partners had it happen to him in the same area last year. We found a tree scratched up in the area maybe starting from about four feet high. Never had this experience before....

I'm fixin to go this coming weekend again with a partner and he's going to stage himself down wind in a box stand 100 yards, and I'll call from upwind of him. The area has a lot of brush and the longest shot is 125 yds where the box stand sits. We saw a pack of yotes go through the edge there, a month ago and my partner missed the shot.
So now we have smarter coyotes.