Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Lion calling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lion calling

Hunterbob, that is extremely close. Shoulda just pulled out the ole' hunting knife. Quite the exciting experience, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

Here is SD, we cannot use dogs. I have been calling lions in w/ elk, deer and even rabbit calls.
Good Luck
Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinehunter View Post
Hunterbob, that is extremely close. Shoulda just pulled out the ole' hunting knife. Quite the exciting experience, thanks for sharing.
LOL... Let me tell you, I still got that bleet call. Whenever I use it, I'm always watching for a Cat. I never heard him coming, the only thing I saw was movement and he landed beside me. It was all pea gravel around me, and I took the first shot into it, between him and I. I just wanted a little distance between us. His tail was straight up in the air running away and I don't beleive he saw me. He didn't know what ta heck happened, shell shocked I guess from the Blackhawk...LOL
Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

BH, you should post some photos. I always enjoy seeing what other people get.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Hunterbob-from the cats point of view what do you suppose he thought about dinner exploding, and his ears ringing. I remember talking to folks that participated in collaring elk calves years ago. A few incidents like this, and they learned to keep their head in swivel mode. How long did it take before you could laugh about it. LOL
Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

After looking at those pictures, you can keep your lion calls. I have called in enough coyotes that knew exactly where I was, and I had no idea they were there, and they didn't want to eat me. LOL. Those are some impressive animals. What do they weigh in at? We don't have things that want to kill you in Maine, except mosquitos.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Hunterbob-from the cats point of view what do you suppose he thought about dinner exploding, and his ears ringing. I remember talking to folks that participated in collaring elk calves years ago. A few incidents like this, and they learned to keep their head in swivel mode. How long did it take before you could laugh about it. LOL
Oh , I didn't laugh right away for sure. Let say this, the way he came out of the brush he had to be running, because it was blurr, I caught in my pheriferal vision.
He never made a noise either. Now i always keep my knife where its an easy grab, because if a cat wants you, he'll be on you before you know he's there.
I saw one in south texas this year that was huge. I was on my way to an oil rigg in the middle of the night. After seeing that cat, I bought a nice case knife with a narrow blade 6" long.. LOL