Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

A lesson relearned......pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Bronze Member

A lesson relearned......pics

mouth calling in cedars. About 20+ years ago I had been calling with a friend ( 220 Swift ) one morning when our
D=cell powered Johnny Stewart casette caller would go no more. The next stand I used my mouth calls, only about 10 minutes into it when a nice bobcat walked under the cedar with Terry. To his surprize you can shoot a bobcat with out aiming if they are close enough. ;) Thats the orignal lesson ......
This weekend I was set up on a tapering cedar row that led out into a hay field. I had backed into a cedar a bit and was the closest to the creek with my partner about 10 more yards to my right further from the creek up the row. We were expecting coyotes to come up out of the creek and down the edge of it torward the cedar row and end up some place out infront of us with easy shots. After 15 minutes of Jack Rabbit in my J.S. 512 I used my remote to turn it off and switched over to my Stone Coyote Cripple Cottontail and began to work it in my usual fashion. I was stitting on my stool and still facing the hay field without ever considering what was about to happen. After about 5 minutes or so I just had this feeling ......I needed to turn my head....something was staring at me. I usually dont turn my head much as it tends to get me busted. I looked to my left and a "close encounter" of the Bobcat kind. The female had done exactly what you should expect a bobcat to do. She used the cover and came straight to the sound......in my mouth! She was a whopping 3 yards to my side. :eek: I almost jumped out of my skin!
She immediatly turned to leave and was out of veiw in a fraction of a second. I did not know if I could see her back under the cedars with all the brush or not but I got off my stool and laid flat ( Flat is a relative term to a fatman ) on my belly looking for her under the trees. All of a sudden I could see the cat through a small opening. I aimed through the brush and squeezed the trigger. I did not expect her to hang around long after all the noise and movement I had made getting on the ground. My partner was laughing his head off as we came out from under the cedars. I was right..... and after going around the tree about 20 yards away lay a nice 19 lbs female bobcat shot right in the white of her chest.
I would have to say this is a lesson I will not forget so easy again.....when mouth calling under a cedar tree WATCH OUT you may not be the only one under there.
We managed to shoot 5 bobcats and 4 coyotes this weekend. Here is a photo of the animals I shot. She is the one on the bottom of the group photo

Edited for politically correctness.

Last edited by BigMo; 02-11-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2008, 11:10 AM
PUBLISHER

Quote:
We managed to shoot 5 bobcats and 4 cototes this weekend.
I absolutely have to find an "ENVY" smiley-emoticon thingey.

Great story, where do you live that you have that kind of population of critters?

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Bronze Member

Happiness is a target rich enviroment

North East Texas

Some days are diamonds and some days are dung.
Same as every place else......you'll never know if you don't go.light bulb
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

Nice story and good lesson BigMo. You are very correct, some days you are the windshield and some days you are the bug.

Mike Alford
Old 02-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

"All of a sudden I saw a small white spot where there had not been one just a few seconds before. I new it had to be her, I aimed through the brush and squeezed the trigger."

I hate to put a damper on an otherwise nice story, but....doesn't this violate the "clearly identify your target and what is beyond, before you shoot" rule?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Bronze Member

This property has no cows, and there are no houses for a couple miles in any direction.
And then there is the fact that about 3 seconds ago a bobcat was right here under the same tree I am shooting under. Now I am sure I am looking at my bobcat maybe twenty yards away obscured by some brush.

Shot was down hill into a creek bottom.
I'll sleep just fine.

Story edited for politiclly correctness.

Last edited by BigMo; 02-12-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Nice story and pics. So far I have 4 points (years) towards getting a bobcat tag here in WI. I 'should' get one this year????
The good news is my bil has gotten two pics of one on his trail cam. You can only hunt them in the northern half of the state where his land is.

Mike