Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Interesting morning of calling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Interesting morning of calling

Thanks, I'd like to get his number if you're able to locate it.

Might get em while you can, we don't know if they'll be available for much longer.? Rumor heard is that John Haslam will be taking over/carrying on the call business, but that is unknown for sure at this time. I heard that there were outstanding orders at the time of Dans' passing, so I am pretty sure they can't fill any new orders until someone can step up to fill Dans' shoes and make the calls. He did the majority of it right in his garage.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Well the name is not familiar and hes not in the phone book...

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

OK, thanks for checking Mike.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:43 PM
SPONSOR

You definitely did the right thing by passing on the shot, Mike. There could have been a number of reasons it took so long for him to show. Calling coyotes can be a lot like bass fishing--you never know what they might be "biting on" on a given day. Sometimes you just have to try some stuff and see what happens. Thanks for sharing your experience.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 01-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Mike, last week I had one like that, and he was about 150 yds and stuck his head up twice, couldn't get a shot. I gave up on the calls in this area, since the last two hunts; I gave a rabbit call, the coyotes stopped howling and left the area. ???
I think someone else has been in the area and over done it, using a call.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Bronze Member

I learned the same lessons years ago, don't take the shot unless you feel comfortable with it because a coyote is a FAST learner, and an "educated" coyote is alot harder to call in a second time! I've seen many educated coyotes sneek in, kind of like a bobcat, and the only thing I could see would be their heads. Makes for tough shooting. I usually carry 4-5 different calls and I start with a short range call, just in case there is one bedded down nearby. If nothing happens after about 10 mins. I switch to a louder call and then to a different sound. Don't be afraid to experiment with different sounds. Coyotes are opportunitist, they will eat almost anything. Don't overlook the sounds of birds that are native to your area, I have very good success with blue jay and woodpecker in distress sounds. If your calling in areas that get hunted alot, stay on your stand longer, even up to 30-45 mins. I have one of Dan's Red Desert Howler and I'm still learning the language of the coyote. Don't be afraid to experiment and learn from your mistakes. I wish I could've met Dan, he was one of the masters at calling coyotes. my condolences go out to his family and friends, i'm sure he will be missed.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 PM

It happens often, most of us just don't like to talk about the ones that get away!