Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

If I wanted to get into coyote hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

Re: If I wanted to get into coyote hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOAN View Post
New guy here, you might want to try a 6.5 grendel, i"ve been using one for 4 years,yotes at 700 deer at 400 web site is back up worth alook...
I'd go with a 6.5x284 Norma over a grendel or creedmore any day of the week. They have a slightly fatter casing so you have a ton more options for loads and bullet weights.

But in general, any of the 6.5s are lethal on whitetail up to 850 yards. That's pretty damn impressive. Consider this... most competition palma, and long distance rifle competitors use 6.5mm or 6mm. There obviously is something to it.

The 6.5's have a sectional density that's better than a 308, and usually have some of the highest ballistic coefficients (rivaled only by the .338's and .50's). Considering it is a smaller diameter, you can load a lighter grain bullet and easily plink off some yotes up to 1,000 yards with this caliber and not do catastrophic damage to the game. But, if you load it up with a 140-150, you can easily take whitetail up to 850 yards. This is hands down one of the most versatile calibers out there. They aren't too expensive, factory ammo for the 6.5x284 Norma is right around $40-50 for 20. Reloading you can cut that in half. That's doable for any rifle owner.

I know Savage has a mean looking Norma in the 111 Long Range Hunter, comes with adjustable cheekpiece, muzzle brake (virtually no recoil with this), and you can pick them up for about $750. Uppers for the AR-15 are usually more than this anyway. Having an additional rifle is always a good option. Personal opinion, I don't like the AR's anyway.

Hope this helps some.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: If I wanted to get into coyote hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernfryedyankee View Post
and hunt with an AR-15 platform. What would be a good entry level complete upper preferably with a heavy/varmint barrel in 20" length. From what I have seen on my hunting shows the 223 seems to be the preferred caliber BUT could the 6.8 serve my needs for coyote hunting plus serve the ability as a multi use rifle? If I were to get a 6.8 SPC what other uses could I utilize that particular round for? I would like to get at least my son started hunting this year and because I can hunt coyotes year round I thought maybe this would give myself a more available chance to hunt with him and get him used to being in the woods and learning the ropes so he would be ready for deer season.
First there is no such thing as an entry level upper. There are quality uppers and there are junk uppers. If you are going to confine you're hunting to coyotes, varmints and such. .223 is all the caliber you need. Ammo is cheap and you can find it anywhere. Pick a round with a good varmint bullet and get after it. If you decide to expand your hunting to things that a bit much for the 223 round there are a multitude of calibers that will drop right on to an ar 15 upper. A 110 grain accubond from a 6.8 SPC 20" barrel clocks around 2590. Thats some plenty lethal deer medicine. so with two uppers on the same lower we have covered everything from mule deer to ground rats. Add an AR 10 and nothing on this earth is safe from a well placed round.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64