Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Hows your coyote season going? Have any pics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hows your coyote season going? Have any pics?

well my yote hunting has not being to stellar, went twice with two 0 but keeping a good attitude.as you can see i live in Indiana and for some reason yote hunting here is difficult at least for me. lots of yotes though. had 4 in one game can picture. just got a new fox pro last year. so if you have any suggestions for me i am a good listener.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

Missed one today. Must have been the guns fault.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Pressman, I feel your pain I'm in KY and my best success comes from hunting around chicken farms, there are a plethora of them in central KY. I feel your situation is similar to mine:

1) A lack on coyote in the area at the same time you are, I've got pics of them in the areas i hunt and i try and get there before they do.
2) If they are there they've heard calls before

I use the craziest nastiest sound calls i can get my hands on, i've modified hand calls both open and closed reed and use mainly the loudest calls i can find. I feel the yotes have trouble hearing my through all the woods and hills which I'm usually hunting. I have a foxpro spitfire and will alternate between stands which calls i'm using, as well as howling on some stands before i start the rest of my call sequence. My general conciseness is if they're in the area they'll come in. I do the best i can to control my scent and try and play the wind. I've hunted these critters for about 10yrs now. If you can get a spot with limited water supply and just sit and watch that maybe the ticket, i've killed several coyotes while deer hunting and not making a sound, i like to set up in large field corners where some tall grass or grown up fence rows connect with a thicket that's seems to be the ticket for them in my neck of the woods.

-Some days they just win... but when it works out in my favor i'm the baddest mother in the woods for the day-
Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

I've been lucky the few times I've been able to hunt coyotes. Here's a pic of 2 of the 3 I killed last month while scouting for deer season. No calls or anything, just happened to see them. I was able to kill 3 of the 4 in the group, all over 300 yds and in about 12 seconds. I have since killed one at 582 yds in the same area of the ranch. I'll be out again in a week or so, hopefully be able to take out a bunch more calf killers before the spring.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM