Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

How soon can I hunt the same area?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Bronze Member

How soon can I hunt the same area?

Just nailed a dog this morning in a relatively small area that I know has at least 4-6 more dogs in it. I want to get out after the rest but I'm thinking I better give it a little while. How long do you guys usually wait before returning to the same area? I didn't educate any dogs today but I know they heard my shot. I have a couple areas I really like to hunt regularly but I've always worried about pushing too hard.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
How soon can I hunt the same area?-1347887037884.jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Bronze Member

Re: How soon can I hunt the same area?

I have gone out the next day and called in different dogs, remember coyotes are on the move they have territory to protect and invaders are always on the move to get new land,
set up in a new spot different time of day and don't use the same sounds.
good luck
Old 09-19-2012, 04:28 PM

So I'm curious how far away you need to move? ranches around here (West Texas) often have pastures of about 1 section (640 acres).

I'm planning on moving out of a given pasture (ie moving about a mile away) after a kill. Is that far enough, way too much, or what? i don't have much experience hunting coyotes yet.

thanks

BR
Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertmreese View Post
So I'm curious how far away you need to move? ranches around here (West Texas) often have pastures of about 1 section (640 acres).

I'm planning on moving out of a given pasture (ie moving about a mile away) after a kill. Is that far enough, way too much, or what? i don't have much experience hunting coyotes yet.

thanks

BR
depends how long you're staying in one spot when you call, how loud your calls are, how thick the cover is, and how far the sound is carrying in your location.

We have sat in one spot for an hour overlooking 2-3 square miles, blast the e-caller and see them coming from that far as well, or run hand calls and make a set every 5-600 yds.
Just depends on the terrain, the wind and what guns we're packing. If we've got the 338 Norma and the 300 SAUM along, we'll just sit and wait for them.
If we've got the .22-250, 6XC and .260...we might just go on a trek.

Just depends.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:03 AM

A few years ago I called in 5 young coyotes and shot one. The next week in the same spot, I called in 4 and shot two. The next week I called in two and shot one. The next week I called in the last one and shot it. All in the same spot with an FX3 Foxpro.

This was in late September into the end of October, and the young ones are pretty dumb. Later in the year, I doubt I would have had such good results.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Silver Member

as a rule and for the fact I have a lot of different places to hunt, I don't call the.same spot in the same seven day period. I also pay attention to approaching the call site and dont use the same calling sequence I have used before. This seems in my experience to keep a call site productive, and handy if your into tournaments.