Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Has coyote hunting sucked for anyone else in January???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 AM
Bronze Member

Has coyote hunting sucked for anyone else in January???

I'm feeling a little frustrated at my lack of success last month. The body count at the beginning of the month was 40 and at the end of the month (after ten trips) it was only 46. The coyotes are there (see tracks and hear howling) but very few wanted to participate. Yes, I'm howling and using female invitation howls, whimpers, ki-yies, ect..., I haven't been using any rabbit sounds except after a long day of dry stands when I'll try a little bit of everything just to try to find something they're biting on. Any thoughts?? Mostly public ground, I'm sure there's some hunting pressure but rarely do I run into another coyote hunter in the field.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Gold Member

Re: Has coyote hunting sucked for anyone else in January???

yeah, it's been pretty slow around here too. Durring big game season (when I won't risk spooking elk for a yote) a guy couldn't hardly get out of the truck without stepping on one. Now that they don't get a free pass, they seem to have vanished. We've seen a ton of tracks, but no dogs. I'm starting to think that time is running short for good fur anyway. My uncle took one off his ranch (Billings area) that was already rubbed out on her hind quarters. I'm betting that our lack of winter this year is gonna end fur season sooner than usual.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

Very poor here too, Nov. Dec. Jan.has been cold with wind chill in the -30,to -40+ range many days,lots of snow,have only seen one coyote,dont know where they went.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

Coyote hunting has been bad here in NY too. At least for me it has. I've only been able to get 2 to come to a call this winter. One went down and the other knew something was amiss and wouldn't come out of cover to allow a shot.

I usually get at least 3 or 4 each winter.

"The 'tolerant' left has come full circle... and has now become what they so despised."

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. -- Aesop
Old 02-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

Today I had a pair come in on my still born, calf bait lure,haden seen any around here all winter,time to clean the barrel,check the adjustment on sights,300yds dead on is good for me 150gr.300WM.Calfing cows, no free lunch.I just love it.dog down
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

I have gone into this season with the intention of not shooting a coyote until I have tagged a wolf. I have seen a ton of coyotes! I saw 5 the other day and all 5 stopped and layed down to hide at less then 500 yards! I was thinking that I was seeing more coyotes then usual. Most are mid day sightings. I have found that 33% of the time a wolf howl will just set them off.
I did see a coyote the other day, which I jumped off a dead elk at 100ish yards. The tricky dumb coyote kept stopping and going and then attempted to hide at around 400 yards. After getting burned bad the previous evening by 4 wolves the temptation was too much to resist! I typically kill 10-15 coyotes per year, and have seen way more lately. MURPHY!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
I have gone into this season with the intention of not shooting a coyote until I have tagged a wolf. I have seen a ton of coyotes! I saw 5 the other day and all 5 stopped and layed down to hide at less then 500 yards! I was thinking that I was seeing more coyotes then usual. Most are mid day sightings. I have found that 33% of the time a wolf howl will just set them off.
I did see a coyote the other day, which I jumped off a dead elk at 100ish yards. The tricky dumb coyote kept stopping and going and then attempted to hide at around 400 yards. After getting burned bad the previous evening by 4 wolves the temptation was too much to resist! I typically kill 10-15 coyotes per year, and have seen way more lately. MURPHY!
Holding out for chance at a wolf is about the only good reason I can think of for letting one go, especially one that's begging that hard to be ventilated! I think the little turds have a 6th sence about when they're safe and when to run like hell. The only yotes I've seen lately have been on private land (two chewing on a deer), or next to the highway with a ton of traffic (just sitting there enjoying the sunshine at about 150yds).

Rooster- did you get your mutt tag filled yet? 11 trips later... mine is still taking up space in my wallet.