Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Gotta be careful coyote hunting ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Gotta be careful coyote hunting ...

Just got this email from SDGFP.

January 11, 2011
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks officials reminds hunters to be watchful for wolves.
DNA testing of a sample taken from a wolf-like animal that was recently killed by a coyote hunter confirmed the animal was indeed a wolf from the Great Lakes Region. The hunter who mistakenly shot the animal was hunting coyotes north of Woonsocket, South Dakota in Sanborn County on December 18, 2010. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks law enforcement officials confiscated the 90 pound male animal after being made aware of the incident.
“Minnesota has a healthy wolf population, so it’s not uncommon for young male wolves to periodically wander into the Dakotas,” said Wildlife Conservation Officer Chris Kuntz of Huron. “Young male wolves are often pushed out of a pack and will simply wander across country. They usually don’t spend much time in any one location and generally move out of an area within a few days from when they’re first sighted,” said Kuntz. “Unfortunately in this case, a hunter mistook the animal as a coyote and it was killed,” he said. The hunter that shot the wolf will not be charged with a violation, as he clearly misidentified the animal as a coyote.
Hunters pursuing coyotes in eastern South Dakota are reminded that wolves are listed as “endangered” under the Federal Endangered Species Act. This protection makes it illegal for a hunter to kill or possess such species. “Hunters are reminded to use extreme caution when hunting coyotes to make sure they can identify their target before they shoot,” said Kuntz.
Anyone who sees what they believe to be a wolf is encouraged to contact their local wildlife conservation officer or phone the Huron GFP Office at (605)353-7146.

FYI,
Bob
Old 01-13-2011, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Gotta be careful coyote hunting ...

The wolves I saw in West Yellowstone quite a few years back looked very much like a coyote except for their size. They were in a pen and I was close, so I could tell they were big!

But how do we tell their size when we're out hunting?? Truth be told, not enough of us have ever seen wolves in the wild to realistically be able to tell the difference in a hunting scenario.

A wolf in the snow at 200+yds could look just like a big coyote at 100 yds. Either way; most of us would judge the distance to be under 300 and within PBR and pull the trigger! Who would be worried about ranging them and sizing them in the reticle before the shot if we know their within "hold on hair and shoot!!"??

IMO, wolves outside their "protected area" should be considered non game animals just like coyotes are.

Glad to hear the guy wasn't charged with anything!!

Last edited by SBruce; 01-13-2011 at 03:49 AM. Reason: I wasn't done yet!!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

The only thing you have to be careful about is opening your mouth!!! Sometimes they look a lot a like but they move very different and is a good tip of.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

"The hunter that shot the wolf will not be charged with a violation, as he clearly misidentified the animal as a coyote."

That never wooda happened 'out west!!!'
Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 AM

Thats quite true Roy, if it was out here there would be a $10,000 reward on his head. I believe it falls under the three S rule. blue