Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Good ideas for calling from a timber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM

Good ideas for calling from a timber?

we had lost a few calves due to coyotes and dad and i are getting tired of it. We have pastures bordering timbers and im willing to bet they come from the timbers. we have a call, but i think it distorts the sound too much. Any tips to help irradicate those mangy coyotes?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Gold Member

Re: Good ideas for calling from a timber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997 Lariat 7mm WSM View Post
we had lost a few calves due to coyotes and dad and i are getting tired of it. We have pastures bordering timbers and im willing to bet they come from the timbers. we have a call, but i think it distorts the sound too much. Any tips to help irradicate those mangy coyotes?
Put the gun away and learn to trap.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
Put the gun away and learn to trap.
have a buddy trapping there. he's pulled 3 out already. but we're pretty much done here for season. now its time for calling and shooting.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997 Lariat 7mm WSM View Post
have a buddy trapping there. he's pulled 3 out already. but we're pretty much done here for season. now its time for calling and shooting.
I'm not sure why there's a season for damage control. I wouldn't stop trapping until calving was over and they were well up on their feet.

If your set on shooting, you should try getting right into the heavy cover. Find a good stand with decent shooting lanes. Using an electronic caller set up a little away from you helps. Use a shotgun and leave the long gun in the truck. Shots will be fast like a quail.

For the long gun, howling can be effective but calling to much in the same area like a ranch can really slow things down.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM

Get in the timber with 12 bore. 4 buck ext full choke. it does the trick around here...
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

I hunt in the Northeast, this means lots of timber. Best success, definitely a tree stand. Set up a bait that they get accustomed to for a while, about 50-100 yards out. I also use a Foxpro about 50 yards out with a Mojo. AR15 with a 3x scope has proven most effective. This has worked for me.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt