Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Good/best varmint call

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Good/best varmint call

I have several mouth calls that I use. I have two "Lohman Circe" rabbit calls, a "Primos" howler, a carlton's open reed call, and one jack rabbit call that is so old I cant tell you what it is. These are the ones that I like, because I think that they sound good when I blow them. I have to walk quite aways from the truck and roads here in CA to succesful. That is the reason I like mouth calls. I do not want the extra weight of a electronic caller, when I am already carrying a twelve pound gun and a twenty pound back pack. I am too old to carry a bunch of extra weight. I am no expert, but you asked and this is what works for me. There is guys out there that are alot more successful than I am, and I still have a lot to learn about coyotes.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Silver Member

Varmint calling in my area has become a popular event and many are calling wrong thus educating the yote population. The advantage of my Ecaller is dropping it and being able to hunt distance down wind while controlling the call.

There are some that question the lack of skill involved in pushing buttons. My six year old daughter sounds pretty good on most of my mouth calls with little effort.

And then there is the weight argument. Before the Ecaller I carried several squealers, turkey calls and a horn howler. My Minaska M1 bandit weights minus two pounds and has a hundred calls on the card. Two pounds ends that argument.

If I were to invest in another caller I'd seriously consider the WT line. I like my Minaska but they have been victims of their own success and the wait for a build will be longer than quoted.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
The reason I want an electronic call is - All I have ever used is mouth calls, some I made my self
and have killed Coyotes,bob cats,hogs,deer,turkeys,feral dogs,squirrel,pheasant,grouse,ducks
and geese using a bow and Coyotes and turkeys are about the toughest.

When using a mouth call you give away your position and every now and then you may have a
bob cat or mountan lion jump in the blind/brush with you. So the electronic calls sound like
the cure for this problem if you can set them away from you and use a remote. also we have
a problem with owls trying to find that easy meal and I have had and seen them take the hat
off the callers head. ( And as gomer pyle says "surprise surprise" ).

I have had Coyotes pass by a decoy on a dead run and never stop untill they were at a safe
distance from the bow hunter then stop and look back. ( Very smart those old dogs ).

Right now it looks like the foxpro FX3 is my choice but I want to look at the Wildlife Technologies
that BGURR recomended before I take the plunge.

Thanks for all the replies
J E CUSTOM

to me thats the best part. getting an eye on them before they do you. iv been skunked so many time from them getting wind on me its not even funny. if ur gona be productive in heavy brush i could see why people use the e-callers, just to off set their point of focus. iv seen a bunch of coyotes shot while standing over the top of a fox pro wondering what the hell is going on. its kinda funny actually. and as far as the mountain lions, you can keepem. i dont want any jumping in my lap. couple of weeks ago i had a bobcat sneek up behind me and i had no idea how long he was there, but he wasnt botherd by me one bit. he just comenced to lick his old croth hind leg in the air, then turned his nose at me and mosied off like he had better things to do than sit there and look at me all day.

Last edited by brushcountry101; 01-12-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Right now it looks like the foxpro FX3 is my choice but I want to look at the Wildlife Technologies
that BGURR recomended before I take the plunge.

Thanks for all the replies
J E CUSTOM
I have beat this decision to death. I know it is $200 more but give the Foxpro Fury a good look. I think it is "the one" considering it is superseding the FX5 for much less $$. And it can have one sound coming from one end and a second sound from the other. Plus I like the idea that you can program the whole series of sounds for the stand before you go including varying the volume. Then activate it with one push of a button. When I considered all that and the resale value, I finally made up my mind.

Just a thought.

Jeff

Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

+1 bgurr.....i have a WT2030, bought at the old(high) price, and i don't care! Sounds are AWESOME! Had my reciever go out last week, talked to Bill Martz , will be fixed at NO cost...This company is soon to be "THE Caller company". I have talked to both Bill and Patricia many times, found them both to be very helpful and the info they give you is the truth! But, have used and heard all the big names, and they all do what you pay money for them to do.......Any of the top names will not let you down..rsbhunter
Old 01-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

I just self taught myself how to call last weekend on a Kiyi and a hot dog. Randy anderson, forgot who made them. Im not going to say im good or even really have a clue what im doing but since sunday night we went out every evening since then and the results were. bobcat sunday night. Called in coyotes both monday and tuesday evening killed a yote on wednesday didnt hunt thursday and killed on tonight. watch out its ridicously addictating.

So I would like to get an foxpro but while im still able to get them in everytime I go out on mouth calls ill stick to them. I feel a fox pro is in my future though. Oh I also have a little spinny thingy that I feel helps. At least it did on the cat.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:40 AM

I have had the good fortune of being able to kill coyotes and other predators for a living. I have always wanted and used the best equipment possible as I might only get one crack at a lamb killing wet bitch and I want every advantage that I can get. I have had the opportunity to try about every electronic caller on the market and even some home made deals. I am not abasing nor am I promoting anyones product but if you put these calls side by side and compare volume, clarity of sound, dependability and sound selection the Wild Life Tech caller wins hands down in comparison by a lot. When looking to make a decision on a call just do that, put them side by side play one then another and see for yourself. The only down fall with the Wild Life Tech caller was its size but I just bought their new compact model about a month ago and it is about half the size of the older model and about half the price.