Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Ghillie Suit...Too much?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Ghillie Suit...Too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter243 View Post
I use mine for everything I can...Mine is hot so I don't wear it while I'm walking to my spot but once I get set up it is the best camo I've every used. I made mine for mainly sitting but you can make it to suit your needs and that is what I love about them
I too agree with you being able to make them as you wish...There are quite a few versions out there from full military bdu crawl designs, to stalker models...They're easy to make and easy to develop after they're made...
Old 09-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.sevilla.98 View Post
Sharpshooter243 makes an excellent point - some suits are hot. I don't know what type material was used when he constructed it, but my guess is an old set of BDUs. I made one many years ago (long gone now) and I used a flight suit, sewed on some netting, used burlap and such for it. I remember it was heavy and very hot, although it was the only one I ever made. Recently I purchased one that is really lightweight and breatheable. I use it as Sharpshooter243 said - I don't wear it on my way to my position, I only wear it once I am near it, say...150 yards or so. Once I setup, it is unlike any camo system I've used - it is simply the best. I venture to say that it is not too much for Varmint huntin' but beware of others who like to shoot at what they thought was an animal...If you've ever been out on opening day, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I think the best route would be to purchase a pre-made one, then go out to where you intend to hunt and use some of the foliage found there. Again, I must warn you to be weary of others...they may think you're "Swamp Thing", or "Big Foot" or some other creature...seriously.
I know what you mean about the bdu versions being VERY hot!!...I was thinking about making some new models based on 3/4" netting...I see no need to low crawl...I'd set them up to be more of a sitting model...Just enough to cover me while I call...I was thinking ghillie jacket and hat...I believe this would be the best of both worlds "comfort but still mask my shape." Think that would work well?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:12 PM

I think the half suit will work fine, I think those get marketed as "tracker" types. For me, as long as the critters don't know you're there then you know it is working well. I guess it ultimately boils down to personal preference.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

I would rank a ghillie suit as wayyyyyy over kill!! I wear a camo shirt sometimes just because everyone else does but the major dog killers I know don't wear anything but wrangler pants, carharts and a cowboy hat. Sit in front of a bush to break up your out line and so you can see them coming and stay in the shadows, hard to be watching as good as you should with stuff hanging all over.
But, I also hunt in areas that I have sagebrush all over and plenty of cover, if you had to call open fields and stuff with poor cover I guess I could see the need.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

Last edited by bigngreen; 09-30-2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: appied SP check to some poor spelling
Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 PM

I can definitely see your point.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Bronze Member

Made my first one last year just for coyote hunting. Mine is made mainly for sitting. I'm thinking of making another one this year a little lighter in color, and a little more sparse. and more of a stalker style.

They really are great. I was sitting in a spot early last year and had a deer come in close enough that i could almost touch it. Too bad I wasn't hunting deer.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:47 AM
Gold Member

I bet they work great but I'd hate to run into anyone while I'm wearing one. I'd be so embarassed.