Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Ghillie Suit...Too much?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 01:58 AM
Bronze Member

Ghillie Suit...Too much?

What do you guys "and girls" think about ghillie suits? Are they too much for coyote or does it give you an advantage. I've used them in airsoft as a kid and have a lot of experience using them "and building them." I was thinking of making a light suit for the desert and a heavier one for the forests in green season. Let me know what you think about it. Thanks!

Jerry,
Old 09-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ghillie Suit...Too much?

Lot of guys use them for hunting Varmints... how ever it's more about wind and scent..... when your trying to fool a four legged predator
Old 09-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

I'm mostly a spot and stalk hunter, and I use military-style BDU pants (for their functionality...and thrift store price) and quilted pastel plaid shirts. I've used this "camo" system and stalked many coyotes in the wide open, when they could see me easily if they could/would have. If u're driving a lot and walking from vehicle to stand not far then i would say they would have to be some of the best camo u could use really...with absolutely no personal experience to back up that comment!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Personally, I wouldn't bother w/ them.

I've heard that they are heavy and hot?

coyotes notice movement and scent primarily (especially during daylight) I truly believe that you can call and shoot coyotes wearing a Santa Clause suit if you keep your movement to a minumum.

Ghillies may have their place when trying to shoot one with a bow, or on cats too. Cats hunt primarily with their eyes.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

I use mine for everything I can...Mine is hot so I don't wear it while I'm walking to my spot but once I get set up it is the best camo I've every used. I made mine for mainly sitting but you can make it to suit your needs and that is what I love about them

Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Gold Member

Yeah... I probably should've said that earlier;... movement, hearing along with wind and scent.. I guy could set out there in his birthday suit and pop must of them with a rifle, unless he was trying to bring them right up into the hide with him.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter243 View Post
I use mine for everything I can...Mine is hot so I don't wear it while I'm walking to my spot but once I get set up it is the best camo I've every used. I made mine for mainly sitting but you can make it to suit your needs and that is what I love about them

Sharpshooter243 makes an excellent point - some suits are hot. I don't know what type material was used when he constructed it, but my guess is an old set of BDUs. I made one many years ago (long gone now) and I used a flight suit, sewed on some netting, used burlap and such for it. I remember it was heavy and very hot, although it was the only one I ever made. Recently I purchased one that is really lightweight and breatheable. I use it as Sharpshooter243 said - I don't wear it on my way to my position, I only wear it once I am near it, say...150 yards or so. Once I setup, it is unlike any camo system I've used - it is simply the best. I venture to say that it is not too much for Varmint huntin' but beware of others who like to shoot at what they thought was an animal...If you've ever been out on opening day, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I think the best route would be to purchase a pre-made one, then go out to where you intend to hunt and use some of the foliage found there. Again, I must warn you to be weary of others...they may think you're "Swamp Thing", or "Big Foot" or some other creature...seriously.